Taste of Yuzu

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Junglekeeper, Apr 15, 2006.

1. candywine

candywine Member

I am in Jacksonville, Florida and we have a Yuzu tree that has fruit. We acquired it quite by accident thinking we were buying a blood orange tree. It took quite a long time to fruit (about 7-8 years) but now we have hundreds of fruits. It took some research on the web to figure out what kind of citrus fruit we had but finally figured out it was a Yuzu tree. The fruit is seedy but juicy. It takes somewhat like a grapefruit to me. I have eaten it out of hand with no sugar and it's taste was fine to me. I want to grow some from seed but since I am 69 years old, I am wondering if it will fruit in my lifetime. I may sell the property someday that the tree is at right now. I noticed no one has posted on this thread in a few years so I don't know if anyone will even see this post.

2. neferset

neferset Member

Well, I see you. I am interested in trying to grow some kind of cold hardy citrus, but the 7-8 years you mentioned for yuzu to fruit gives me pause. That's ok for a seedling, but not a started tree. I had almost onsidered visiting an Asian market to see if I could get a fruit for seeds. Now I'm not so sure. How big was it when you got it?

3. Quebec1

Quebec1 New Member

Yuzu (or in Korean Yuja) is often consumed as a tea, if you buy one that's commercially prepared it will look like orange jam, 2 scoops and some hot water and you're good to go!

4. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

It's perfect to make Jam :)