Hibiscus Has Aphids

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by LoveHibiscus, Aug 20, 2006.

1. LoveHibiscus

LoveHibiscus Member

I have about 12 hibiscus plants and love them all...I got rid of the spider mites eventually..now they seem to have got a new friend the lovely aphids, black and green ones. I've washed them(the plants) every week, I've sprayed them with murphy oil soap and water, also with insecticide. They just don't seem to want to go away. Anyone out there know of anything that will take them away permantly?? that won't hurt the plants of course. Can aphids live in the soil???? Do I need to change it again???
    Any help would be a blessing

Thanks
    LoveHibiscus

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Are you trying to grow hibiscus outdoors? Unless they're 'Rose of Sharon' plants ('hardy' hibiscus), they won't make it beyond the fall - they're tropicals. You may want to go to a garden ctre and really take a good look at what's appropriate for aphids in particular (vs a general 'insecticide'), though I'd take them all outside and do the job there as pets (even fishtank water) and/or people can be seriously affected by some chemicals. Then I'd ask about what attracted them indoors in the first place (if they've been inside all this time) and deal with that.

3. marshgirl

marshgirl Member

I have several Hibiscus plants outside here in FL. I have some aphids year-round, but the lady bugs take care of most of them. Inside that won't work, but as Rima mentioned, take them out to do any spraying. If they are outside, any general insecticed will also kill the ladybugs. Here in FL as a Master Gardener, we recommend the intigrated pest management (IPM) instead of "control". So some oil spay, some washing, and release some ladybugs. With attractant and with a ladybug "home" so they continue to breed and stay around your place.

Good luck!
    -Marshgirl

4. LoveHibiscus

LoveHibiscus Member

These are all inside plants....I have no idea how they got in here to begin with.. The lady bug theory would work if they were outside. Thank you so much for you input.. I guess my next step will be to go see garden center and maybe they can give me some ideas...

thanks again
    lovehibisicus

5. mielle33

mielle33 Member

I am in Montreal Canada Zone 5 and I have perennial hibiscus that I leave out in the ground like any perennial plant and they come back every year with no problem. I also have the rose of sharon which some call hibiscus which I have to protect it from the winter here. I dont have any problems with bugs on my hibiscus flowers. They are all in bloom now. I have 6 different kinds.

mielle33