Move and Transplant a Mature Japanese Yew

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Bruce Craig, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Bruce Craig

Bruce Craig Member

Due to a mandatory sewer connection, a mature "Dense Yew" had to be moved (height 1.2m, width 2m, girth app. 16cm). A machine with a large shovel picked up the yew with many roots intact and quite a bit of soil forming a partial root ball. I'd welcome tips on how to transplant this yew successfully - type of soil, water, ,etc.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  2. smivies

smivies Active Member

It needs to get back into the ground ASAP. No special soil requirements (just not really wet soil) and water it regularly until re-established (x2 week this year, x1 week next year). If it was dug with a large enough rootball, it will be fine, otherwise you may see a decline (or even die) before it gets better.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  3. Bruce Craig

Bruce Craig Member

Thank you. The yew was put back into the ground about 8 hours later and I mainly used soil that came loose from the root ball to replant it. Three days later it is looking healthy, however, I realize the roots will take some time to get re-established. I will water regularly.