When to Repot?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by BobbieLee, May 23, 2006.

1. BobbieLee

BobbieLee Member

Is it true that the diameter of your plants pot should equal the plants height?

2. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

No, not as a rule and not usually.

3. BobbieLee

BobbieLee Member

repotting

Do you repot your plant when it slows or stops growing? I am finding that many of my plants have stopped growing...could this possibly mean that the pot is too small?

4. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Re: repotting

It depends on what type of plants they are, where they are growing, how large a pot they are currently in, etc. Sometimes plants will cease to grow because they are repotted into a larger container.

5. BobbieLee

BobbieLee Member

Thanx

Thanx L.Plant...Your great help....I love my plants, I have a huge variety and seem to have the magical touch..Nice to know there are people out there that can help!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Repot before roots come out of drain holes. Avoid circling and matting of roots. Plants being kept in small containers long term, like bonsai have their roots pruned when repotting.

7. Rima

Rima Active Member

Sometimes they stop growing because they take a little rest (and should be watered less often) - it may seem like the wrong time of year for it, but if they were 'forced' at some grower's (like azaleas are to bloom at Easter), their seasonal cycles are all mixed up, so they rest even while other plants are just blooming now.