I'm new here and need advice on my banana plant

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by moss, Mar 19, 2007.

1. moss

moss Member

Hi, i have a Musa Basjoo Banana plant which although it calls itself 'hardy' i have covered it in flreece for the two winters that i have had it, i live in Kent in the UK so we don't get really cold, down to a max of about -5 degrees, the first winter it was still a baby but it did go mushy and slimy around the outside so i peeled the outer layers off and all was well, it grew to a little over a metre high last summer, this winter i again covered it in fleece and have recently unwrapped it. My problem is the same mushy slimy bit but this time it appears to be in the centre core of the plant and i am concerned it is going to affect and rot the new leaves that emerge form the centre. i have already cut away any outer slime and am now tempted to peal away the healthy outer trunk until i can get to the inner slimey area and uncover a new healthy bit, the inner rot appears to go quite a long way down the inside of the trunk though. What would you advise, i'd be really grateful of any help.

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

What your doing sounds good. Are you just using fleece around just the stem? or are you covering the whole plant leaves included?

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

They're tough to kill. I leave mine unprotected and they pop in spring with amazing vigor. I tossed one that I though was dead into my compost pile. It rolled down an embankment about 15 feet below. Later that summer I noticed it had rooted and was growing down there. I guess it has naturalized there now.

Cheers, LPN.

4. moss

moss Member

I wrapped some around the stem and also put a fleece bag over the top of the whole thing. I'm now just paranoid it is rotting from the inside out.

5. moss

moss Member

That's great thanks, i think next year, if it survives this, i'll leave mine uncovered, i guess you get life a lot colder where you are, so if yours survive mine will too.

6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Winters are brutal here on Vancouver Island with rain, a few wind storms, periodic light frosts and even some snow that may last a day or two.

Cheers, LPN.

7. moss

moss Member

Just an update on my banana plant. It is doing brilliantly, i left it to it's own devices and it is now the proud owner of three new leaves and it's babies (6 or so) have survived and are producing their own new leaves.

8. cactus6103

cactus6103 Member

That is good news. Red