Green gage plums

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Robin Hanway, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Robin Hanway

Robin Hanway Member

I have several plums trees that I believe are Green Gages. I'm interested in other people's experience with these plums, and interested in sharing jam and preserve
    recipes. They seem to have a very short harvesting period before they are overripe and rotting. The color is a lovely yellowish green, and the jam tastes peachlike.
    Does anyone know the history of these trees?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Harry Hill

Harry Hill Member

Roberts Creek, BC (Sunshine Coast) Zone 8
    New York Times article on greengages

Today's (Sept 1) New York Times carries an excellent article on greengages in France. You might have to register (no charge) to access it:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/01/dining/01GREE.html

Here's another way to the story that possibly doesn't require registration:
    A Finicky Fruit Is Sweet When Coddled

September 1, 2004
    By DAVID KARP

The greengage is universally acclaimed by experts as the
    finest of plums - and may just be the best fruit in the
    world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/01/dining/01GREE.html?ex=1095079534&ei=1&en=952fd70429bd802c

4. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. GREENGAGEs

The greengage I beleive was either introduced by Sir William Gage in the mid 18th century to a church yard near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. It was named after him and it's colour, of course. They are still very plentiful in the area and I actually have a greengage hedge at the back of my cottage that bears much fruit for james etc.

6. At 7000 ft in the San Bernardino mountains (CA) my neighbor has a huge plum tree at least 30 years old which I believe to be a green gage. Due to our late uncertain frosts, it bears only every 4-5 years, but the fruit is marvelous-tasting. The tree is never fertilized and seldom watered . Fortunately several limbs hang into my yard, so I am able to help myself.
    What a bonanza!!!