Identification: I've 2 mushrooms giving me heck

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Jan 31, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

These are two mushroom varieties I'm having extreme difficulty identifying...if anyone can help I'd GREATLY appreciate it!
    The first is a dark greyish color...no more then an inch to an inch and half tall...almost rubbery....gilled....with a concave center. The wood I've seen them on is dead and in a 'flood zone'.......they resemble a mushroom known as Burnsite Mushrooms? But there was no fire on any of the downed trees I find these.......These are in Missouri...along the river in mid to late summer.
    The second is brite orange...darker in the center of cap...gilled...about the size of a half dollar or smaller. Found in large grouping. No scent that I could tell....EXTREMELY 'dusty' from the pores I'm guessing? The 'dust' looks like ash fallen on the caps below other caps. These were growing off the side of a tree trunk. Found in Kansas near the Missouri River at the very end of fall..I was thinking Velvet Foot/Winter Mushroom...but I've lately found larger/darker variety that I DO know are the Winters........

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm not in your area, but I'd like to give it a whirl, perhaps suggest some genera to look at.

The first one:
    Are the gills decurrent - do they run down the stem? Top view makes it look a bit like a Cantharellula, but the only one I've seen in my area grows on moss. Perhaps there is another species that grows on wood in your area. Can you tell the colour of the spores - are the gills stained with any colours or is there any dust on the stem? Hopefully the fuzzy base is diagnostic. It looks a bit like a Lepista/Clitocybe (funnelcap), but I don't think these grow on wood either.

The second one: OK, clustered, white spores, no ring on the stem visible in photo, gills may be notched. Honey mushrooms have white spores and can be really variable, but they do have a ring. So, I'll put five cents on Lyophyllum decastes (fried chicken mushroom) group :-).

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

The first..the greyish/brown funnel one....has 'free' gills.....they don't quite extend to the stem.....a lighter shade in color almost a dark cream...i never got a spore unfortunately...was taking pictures in an area less then an acre in size with over 500 varieties of mushrooms at any given time! I was kinda in a 'free-for-all' with my rush to get as many images as I could of everything. This mushroom though I've only seen in two locations...both found in this particular area growing on dead EXTREMELY rotted trees. They are only about an inch in height...no dusting that i could see...I got lots of images of undersides as well as top and side views if you'd like to see more...slightly 'tacky' cap...the stem was lighter at the base darkening as it got closer to the cap. Snails and slugs seemed to adore this mushroom.

The second...looked nothing like any of our honey mushrooms we had growing at the same time.......I've several images of each patch I'd found....most of those were more of a golden yellow...these were almost reddish-orange. No ring at all and even when first 'coming out'....there was no 'fringe' or 'veil'.....the dusting was almost immediate also. Even on the solo ones this dusting was extremely apparent. I've tried looking up the 'fried chicken mushroom' and couldn't find anything really comparable...as I only found 3 images and one drawing...ugh. I did however find a ton of recipes for fried chicken AND mushrooms...lol

Thanx for the attempt here....I'd a feeling these weren't going to be 2 easy identifiers.....

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello again,
    To take one more attempt at it:
    - for the first one, what about Pseudoclitocybe cyathiformis?
    - for the second one, despite the "reddish-orange ness" I'm keeping my five cents there: If you google-images "Lyophyllum decastes" you get many photos, including http://www2.ac-lille.fr/myconord/Ima_jpg/Chp/Lyophyllum_decastes450.jpg. Any of these look right?

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

yeah...definately the first is a for sure...Pseudoclitcybe cyathiformis is the little funnel caps I got...
    sadly I can't agree on the second though...the gills are different/color of spore is different/color of overall mushroom different/stem different/growing area different....BUT???? reading about the Lyophyllum decastes WAS interesting on the information pertaining to diabeties...
    the largest these grew was maybe and inch and half long? thin stems...almost brittle...they clumped on a dead tree stump.....along a creek....i've definately cut the idea that they might have been Velvet Foot also....no similiarities that I had first thought. Have you been able to see the images I'd posted of them? I noticed I'd had problems getting them to post to help with that.
    I greatly appreciate u'r help here....especially in finding the Pseudoclitcybe Cyathiformis....I've shown lots of locals and they all just say 'eww'.....

6. Michael Kuo

Michael Kuo Active Member

The first one looks a bit like Omphalina epichysium:
    http://www.mushroomexpert.com/omphalina_epichysium.html

. . . and I agree with C. Wick that the second looks like Flammulina velutipes (though its colors are faded and the stem lacks the typical velutinous covering). Doesn't look like an Armillaria or Lyophyllum decastes to me.

Best wishes,
    Michael

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

thanx much for the positive ID on the first one and the possible ID for the second.....those only looked faded because of the amount of spore that had dusted them...these were litterally the MOST dusted mushrooms I've EVER come across! thanx for the link also...was great to have more detailed info about the lovely little ones that had given me such heck for so long trying to ID.
    C Wick