transplanting "little gem" magnolia

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by lisa08, Oct 29, 2008.

1. lisa08

lisa08 Member

A relative of mine planted a "little gem" magnolia in my yard when I was pregnant about five months ago. Although it was a nice thing that she did but she planted the tree too deep into the ground. This magnolia was about 5 feet tall. The main trunk(about 2 ft) of the tree is buried in the ground and only the spreading smaller branches of the tree (about 3 ft) are above the ground. Would it be possible that I dig up the tree and replant it? Would there be roots growing out of the main trunk? If so, can I cut it off? What is the safest way and when is the best time to do it? I am living in Dallas, TX area. Thank you!

Lisa

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Dig up and replant at correct depth as soon as possible.

3. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Hi Lisa,

If it were my plant I'd dig it up and get it at the proper level. I don't know for sure if it will grow rots from the trunk. I doubt it though. I think it would cause crown rot and suffocate the roots.

I'd say replant it as soon as possible so it gets acclimated before the next high stress season gets here.

4. lisa08

lisa08 Member

Thank you all for your fast responses. I will do it ASAP. Any tips on the replants so that it will survive the replant shock and make sure it survive through the cold season? Haven't done a replant before. Thank you in advance for your expertise.