Mealybug on Prayer Plant

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by durbint, Sep 4, 2007.

1. durbint

durbint Member

I have a prayer plant that is growing like a weed and spreading like wildfire...it looks so healthy....BUT I saw several patches of white fuzzy stuff where the stems meet each other today and after researching it on the internet came to the conclusion that it is mealybug. I swabbed the spots with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol until there was no more white fuzzy, cottony stuff. Then I rinsed the plant with warm, high pressure water (not high enough pressure to damage the plant of course) and have isolated it from my other plants. However, I am worried that it might spread to my other plants, because I have a ton of indoor plants. I have looked over all my other plants and do not see a sign of infection on any others, only the Prayer Plant. I had a Peperomia sitting right next to the Prayer Plant, and it doesn't show any signs of infection either. How easily does this bug spread and what are my chances that every other plant is ok? Should I go ahead and purchase an insecticide spray/soap and treat everything just in case? If so, what brand of spray should I get?

Thanks in advance,
    Tamara

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you did the appropriate thing in treating with an alcohol-dipped q-tip and isolating the plant from your others.

i'd keep an eye out - especially the pepperomia, since it was right next to the prayer plant.

treating with the alcohol/q-tip bit is all you should need to do. the key to dealing with any infestation is to catch it early - before the buggers move to all your plants.

since you only had a few of them on the one plant, i wouldn't worry too much...keep an eye on things for the next few weeks tho. and again when you turn your heat on.

3. durbint

durbint Member

Thank you so much for the quick reply! Yeah, it wasn't a huge infestation....maybe 5-6 white fuzzy patches is all. It's not a huge prayer plant, but its not a small one either, so I don't think 5-6 is extreme. Everything still looks ok, but I will continue to keep a close eye on all my plants. Until then, the prayer plant will have to camp out in my bedroom next to one of the windows for the next couple of months! :)

Thanks again!

4. Ines

Ines Active Member

I had a slight mealy problem a month ago, I have no idea where they came from, but it was probably from a new rhipsalis...I just saw a few bugs here and there on 3 different plants. Some people freak out at the sight of just one and crack out the heavy duty chemicals, but that is really over doing it. Keeping an eye out and not letting them get the upper hand is the best thing to do. Inspecting THOROUGHLY is a good idea! If it seems that they might have had a chance to breed, there is a relatively safe spray for plants called Safers Insecticidal Soap. I have it around because the plants that I put outside for the summer get those citrus aphids now and then, but it works on spider mites and mealy bugs too.

Aren't prayer plants great when they are doing well? I have lost a few over the years to overwatering, but have a nice one now.

5. durbint

durbint Member

I think I got rid of all of the mealy bugs on my prayer plant. I just thoroughly looked the plant over and swabbed the spots with alcohol when I saw a mealy bug. I haven't seen any in over a week so I am hoping all it good now.

Oh, I LOVE my prayer plant! It is so pretty and so healthy looking. I'm just happy I caught the bug problem before it got bad and did any damage. I just can't believe how well this plant grows and spreads out. It has even flowered for me about 3 times and I have only had it for about 2 months. I love it! I never knew they flowered until mine did.