Transplant Mallow - How to?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by kamariden, May 29, 2012.

1. kamariden

kamariden Member

I have a Lavatera bicolor (maritima) (thank you ID thread!) that I planted 4 years ago and need to transplant tomorrow (I am moving). I've heard/read two different suggestions regarding digging it out:

1) measure 1 foot for every 1 inch of trunk.
    2) dig at the dripline.

Which is it? Also, there is grass in front of the bush that belongs to the apartment complex and in which I canNOT dig. My plant was planted in a small planter area between the grass and the building, designated for my use. It grew MUCH larger than the tag said it should and now overhangs the grass a good foot unless I chop it back - which I do about every month, but it is currently due for another chopping back. How does this affect where I should dig for the root ball?

Also, can I chop back the branches before I move it or do I need to try to preserve them to prevent too much shock at once? Currently it could fill the bed of a small pick up truck without a problem.

I've attached two pictures: one for size reference (that's a black door to the right), and one shows the interior/base of the bush (shows thickest trunk near upper left)

Thanks in advance!
    -K

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not likely to move at all well and not valuable enough to bother with this instead of buying a replacement for the new place.

3. kamariden

kamariden Member

It's planted outside the apartment I'm vacating (I bought a house). I'm ridiculously attached to it and if I don't take it, my landlord will probably just rip it out and toss it. :( So if there is any way to move it without killing it????

Thx!

4. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

yes. it's not going to be easy. I sent you a long PM. I hope you have 1 or 2 strong friends.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Are there any seedlings coming up any where? Check all over. A small seedling would be much easier to move than the mother plant and you would still have your plant. My mallow lived for approx. 15 years, sent out all sorts of seeds and died. Now I have them coming up all over. I replanted a couple and give the rest to our local plant sale.

6. barbgup

barbgup Member

You don't have enough time to prepare the plant.
    The best way is to soak the plant completely, trim all branches except 3 or 4, start digging at night to min. moisture lose, try to save 3 to 4 major roots, moist and wrap the whole tree in tarp. Put it in a dark place for a week with moist peat moss, this will encourage new roots to develop and min. shock to the plant.
    Plant it in a rainly day with a lot of peat moss to encourage root re-development.
    Good luck.