Saving an Elephant's Foot (ponytail palm)

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Padraigan, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

Here I am again, with another little query. I almost threw out my little Elephant's foot yesterday but just hate to do that to any living thing if it has a chance at life.

I have been trying to save it for several months now. It's very small and most of the roots seem to have dried up even tho they were in the soil. The 'foot' part of the plant does not look the way it should. Sort of caving in slightly. I suppose I was watering it too much to try to save it and maybe I'm just making things worse. There are about four roots left but they don't look very good.

Any ideas on how I might be able to save it or if this is even possible? It's very small, so won't be too upset if it ends up in the compost.

Thanks again everyone.

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

It sounds like its to far gone to make it, sorry.

3. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

Thanks Carol

4. toutlan

toutlan Active Member

dont give up unless you are certain.what will it hurt,good luck

5. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

That's how I look at it. But.... just before I threw it, I gave it a little squeeze and it felt sort of semi hollow inside...... a little squishy ...not mushy though. It hasn't done a thing for several months. Doesn't look worse and doesn't look better. The foliage looks normal. ???? I don't know............

6. patron

patron Member

Sounds as though its been watered too often. It should be allowed to almost dry out between waterings, and don't soak it when you do.