Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar has brown needles

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Jjsweeney, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Jjsweeney

Jjsweeney New Member

image.jpg We have had a very long very snowy winter here in New York and my Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar looks like it's dying. It doesn't have its customary blue-ish green color but instead seems very yellow. In addition, there is a significant amount of browning or dead needles. This Cedar is very established, I'd guess at least 25-30 years old and we keep on top of it, trimming as needed, and we don't plant much near it. I'd hate to see it die. Do you have any suggestions on how to get it back to normal? Is it possible the crazy winter we had has put it in shock? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If it got burned by the cold it doesn't have much damage and should be fine later. Otherwise you might want to look up cedar needle blight to see if that appears to fit.

3. Singerislandoasis

Singerislandoasis New Member

My Blue Atlas cedar is also 25 years old and I just found this thread cause I have the same problem after this brutal winter in Connecticut. I still have snow on one part of my lawn. I am so upset by the browning and dropping needles so I am also looking for answers. This tree is so beautiful , it would be a shame if there were no hope. I don't have an answer for anyone but I am going to go to my local nursery tomorrow to find out what they think. Sorry I don't have an answer now.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Atlas Cedar tends to suffer from cold damage when temperatures fall below -20° to -25°C, and outright winter kill below around -25° to -27°C. What did you get down to this last winter?

5. Singerislandoasis

zero was the lowest it went around here. The tree is also protected on two sides by the house .

6. Singerislandoasis

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2015
  7. Singerislandoasis

I just noticed yesterday that I have new buds all over my 25 year old blue atlas cedar that looked dead a few weeks ago. Great News. How is yours looking?

8. Tsawwassen BC

Tsawwassen BC New Member

I am in the Vancouver area, same problem, loss of 60% of needles, turn almost red, and fall, cones small and brittle, but we don't have your winters, same tree a mile away looks healthy, and this one was last few years... any ideas anyone?

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Any photos?

10. Tsawwassen BC

Tsawwassen BC New Member

Photos attached. I have been giving it a "top down" shower with the nozzle on jet to shake loose any possible mites... and a couple of the small "hanging" branches broke off... the wood stems seem shrivelled, like no food is getting past the "joint" to the branches. I sprayed it with Diazanon in case it was a bug, but no effect... I have given it lots of water, but after that heavy wet winter is it possible that it is getting too much water? Drainage is good, downhill, nothing planted too near... mature tree... the current cones are dry and brittle, crush apart in your hand when last year they were firm and seeping sap... it is progressive in that there are more red and brown needles each day.

Attached Files:

11. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Have you considered the possibility of a disease such as needle blight? I noticed many Blue Atlas Cedars in the Vancouver area looking terrible a few years ago but I don't live there anymore so don't know if they've overcome their problems or succumbed.

Cedar (Cedrus spp.)-Needle Blight | Pacific Northwest Plant Disease Handbook

It seems that this subject was discussed many years ago on this forum if you want to look back on what contributors were saying then:

Brown needles on Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar