Can anyone tell me what this tree (family) is?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by MommaJuarez, May 1, 2015.

1. MommaJuarez

MommaJuarez New Member

Hi there,
    Hoping someone on here can help identify this tree. We would like to relocate it in our yard but I need to do some research on it to see how it will take to a new spot, shade, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. JessieO

JessieO Member

It looks like a maple to me, albeit one with odd growth patterns.

3. JessieO

JessieO Member

are there any of these (samaras) on the ground or on tree, they may be slightly different.
    link to picture

4. MommaJuarez

MommaJuarez New Member

Thank you for your input JessieO! That was what I was leaning towards, but it indeed is odd. I haven't seen any samaras on/near the tree. Below is a pic of the entire tree. (I thought I had previously uploaded this as well but apparently not!)

Attached Files:

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably a sugar maple. Could be a lack of dormancy fulfillment issue - other kinds of cold climate trees leaf out unevenly when planted in areas with low (or no) chilling hours. If you are in a part of California that is not frosty during winter that might explain it. As it has already leafed out you will have to wait until the next dormant season to dig it up, if you don't want to chance what leaves there are now shriveling due to root damage.

6. MommaJuarez

MommaJuarez New Member

Thank you for the feedback! I will wait until next winter to move it. It was a poor location to put this tree: esthically, functionally, and for the health of the tree. Full sun all day in Campbell (San Jose area)! Thanks again!