Please HELP me identify this unusual plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by kidyahoo1, Jul 28, 2014.

1. kidyahoo1

kidyahoo1 New Member

I found this strange plant growing next to my house in Johnston RI. It appears to be a single stem from the ground about 5 ft with moss like foliage bunched every few inches up the stem.

I’ve searched all over the internet without finding anything similar.

Would you know what type of plant this is or able to tell me where to find out?

Please see the attached pictures….

Thank you in advance

Kidyahoo1

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Herbicide damage or other circumstance producing abnormal growth.

3. kidyahoo1

kidyahoo1 New Member

Thanks for your comment. It is in an area that is overgrown but hasn't seen any chemicals in years. It may be environmental due to the overgrowth in the area. Do you think if I were to dig it up and replant it elsewhere it may survive?

It really is a cool looking plant. Would work well where heigh matters and not fullness.

Thanks again

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Another possibility that could also cause the hormonal disruption on these leaf shoots is some form of gall-inducing insect. The tree is an ash, I think, and if so, I think there are non-afflicted plants in the background. That said, I haven't been able to find a match for an ash gall that looks exactly like this.

Very cool, though.