how to use manure?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Marlene, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Marlene

Marlene Member

I'm going to be the lucky recipient of several bags of well-composted horse manure. I can't add it to the garden at this time of year, so should I add it to the compost pile or store for use in the fall or spring?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

bump

This is an interesting question. I imagine you can store manure for a season without problems. Does anyone know how long the shelflife of manure is? Adding it to the compost pile sounds like the type of storage solution I would come up with. Would there be any loss of nutrients in the manure? Will it help or hurt the compost? I'm curious what more experienced composters have to say about this.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would suggest you may want to check the bag, if it is sealed tight then you may want to empty it into the compost or such as it will be in an anaerobic situation which may encourage nasty bacteria growth versus healthy aerobic composting activity. just my 2 cents.

4. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

My two cents. IF it truely well composted, then I don't see a problem adding it directly to plants or compost. I prefer compost though. Green manure actually helps compost because of high nitrogen ... this seems contray to decompostion which requires nitrogen to decay but then gives off nitrogen. I think it is that manure composts faster puting the nitrogen faster. Anyway, it will help compost. If you use it on plants go sparingly.

Now I know there are anaerobic organism deep under all soil that aid in decomposition but I can't say I ever heard these are bad??? You do want to turn your compost to aid decomposition but I'm not sure that is due to "bad" organisms? Are you thinking "sour mulch"? Would like to hear more on this...

5. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

Ow and if you suspect sour mulch -- DON'T put it on your plants! Rather put it on compost to cure. Let your nose decide -- it is smells like dirt, it probably OK, but if it smells funkie, then compost. Sour mulch is cause from anaerobic conditions in that chemicals (methane etc.) don't breath ... the mulch becomes acid. And that is one reason to turn your compost. Puting on compost allows time to air out and leach. Now that I think about it, puting on compost is safest bet... again, you nose knows!