Grape Fruit tree not producing

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by choochtx, Jan 10, 2008.

1. choochtx

choochtx Member

I have 2 grapefruit trees I planted from seeds from the Tx valley area. They have been in the ground about 14-15 years. they are 12-14 ft tall good foilage, nice & green but have never flowered or fruited. can you help?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Seed grown ... it could take 25 years before you see any flowering. Check in on the citrus forum and a few others there may give you a more detailed response.

Cheers, LPN.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

A seedling grapefruit tree growing in Missouri City, Texas that is now 14 years old should be very close to flowering and fruit production. Normally, a grapefruit grown from seed, in a warm location such as Missouri City, begins to fruit in 12 to 14 years. Hopefully you have not been pruning the tree. Any pruning of a juvenile grapefruit tree will delay the tree from reaching maturity, therefore delays fruit production. Have you been fertilizing the tree at least 3 time a year? The fruit on a grapefruit tree develops on new growth. Therefore, very early this spring , perhaps the first part of March, be sure to fertilize the tree using a fertilizer with a formula such as 10-10-10. You want as much new growth as possible to move the tree from a juvenile tree to a mature tree. A grapefruit tree become mature and fruits when the tree has grown the required number of nodes. You don't mention the history of care that you have given this tree. Hopefully, you have been fertilizing the tree 3 times every season. If not you should begin doing so. Apply an application of fertilizer in March, again in June and the 3rd application in August. Start at one foot from the trunk out to 3 feet past the trees drip line. Do not apply fertilizer directly against the base of the trunk. You might get fruit this season or next. Good luck to this tree. - Millet

4. govegasusa

govegasusa Member

My grapefruit tree produced fruit after seven years and then in such a mass that I did not know how to eat them all. But over the fall/winter/spring he lost all his leaves which coming back but there is no fruit. We have idea how all this happend but we see what happens in the fall.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  5. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

I have a few seedling grapefruit in my yard. This tree is three years old from seed & is about 12 ft tall. It should produce within the next 5 years if I can keep the growth rate going at it's current pace. I think the key is to supply the required nutrients at all times.

Attached Files:

6. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Awesome growth Lazz! You don't just have a green thumb--you have a magic thumb!