Ant bait in Meyer lemon tree pot - are the lemons safe to eat?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by djewoods, May 11, 2009.

1. djewoods

djewoods Member

I have a potted Meyer lemon tree with chronic scale problems, there is also an ant colony living in the pot. I have been advised to eliminate the ant colony to help with the scale problems. If I use an ant bait trap in the pot will the lemons be safe to consume since the ant bait is poison?
    Thanks, Deborah

2. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Purchase boric acid online. It comes in a powder. I went to "Guardian of Eden" website to purchase mine, and it is very inexpensive. (also check out the salts they sell, sooo delicious!)

Boric acid is the active ingredient in most pesticides, and is considered non-toxic to humans (unless it's in high concentration.)

3. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Common borax in your laundry isle with do the same thing for a bit less.
    I use one tsp borax, half a cup of sugar, half a cup of water.
    Put the solution on a piece of wax paper on top of the soil and let the ants take it to the nest. ( an eye dropper works well)

It may take a couple of treatment about 2 weeks apart.

Bob

4. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

The reason I suggested boric acid is because borax is cut with other items. It's cheaper just to buy pure borax from a direct supplier. It's up to you, whatever is the most convenient.

5. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

So, what would be the proper dilution for the pure chemical?

I understand that the soluablility is listed at 5.8% by weight.

Bob

6. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I made a powder mixture of 1 part flour, 1 part sugar and 1 part boric acid, then you can sprinkle it (or "puff" it out of a dispenser bottle). They also have lots of recipes for ant baits, and neat ways of applying it online (google is where I found mine) you can make little balls out of sugar, flour, boric acid, and shortening or bacon fat. They also have a liquid application that you soak cotton balls in, and set out the cotton balls along their path.

I also use boric acid in ear washes for my dogs, as well as to clean their eye stains. (Be very careful about this, and follow dilution instructions.)