unknown plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by gorisyed, Jun 23, 2005.

1. gorisyed

gorisyed New Member

I have 7 plants in my circular garden and I don't recognise it. I thought it was a flowering plant however it is now summer and has not bloomed yet. It has a single trunk and palm like leaves about 5" long. It does look pretty but I am afraid it will grow too tall and is not suitable for my little garden. Please advise if someone recognises or even post a pic for me.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have attached images that were forwarded to me by Gorisyed. This looks familiar...sumac?.

Attached Files:

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like Rhus typhina (Stag's-horn Sumac) to me

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Ditto.

5. gorisyed

gorisyed New Member

Wonderful now I know the name. What is this , a shrub, tree, or flowering plant? Is it child safe? Should I transplant to a boundary line? How tall does it grow to? Could someone direct me to a plant decription site? Thanks, Gori

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Search internet by botanical name given here, you will find plenty of information that way.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

A medium-large shrub (2-4m tall), which tends to spread widely by root suckers (particularly if the roots get cut in any way). Reasonably child-safe, though there's a very small outside risk of developing a poison-ivy like allergy to it (this is very rare). The fruit are edible, though not very enjoyable as they are densely fuzzy-hairy (but you can cook them, and strain the hairs out, for a refreshing drink)

8. gorisyed

gorisyed New Member

Thanks for all the advise. I did find all the info I need from www.naturehills.com. they have a selection

9. gorisyed

gorisyed New Member

I guess this is a keeper then. Only need to keep it tamed. Right

10. gorisyed

gorisyed New Member

transplanting

I am concerned that,having transplanted 1 of the 8( Rhus Typhina) from my circular garden to a better location, It immediately started wilting. Is it going to survive the transplant or will I have to detroy them all. I have not done anything with the other 7. My husband suggested waiting till fall to do it, however my garden now looks like I have weed growing in it. PLEASE HELP.

11. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, Could be transplant shock. Sumac likes poor dry soil, so you might try planting with limited amount of soil additives (or none) and water sparingly.

They do tend to be weedy, so you will probably have no lack of source for transplantation experimentation. :) They send out roots well past the drip line (50 feet or more for a large tree in my past experience) so you might have one in a neighboring yard and when you cut the roots while weeding they put up a new shoot or tree. Hence the unexpected growth.

Also if sumac ever gets so large as to need pruning, you must leave some of the branches with fuzz on them (newer growth) for the pruned limb to survive.

Harry Thomas

12. gorisyed

gorisyed New Member

thanks a stack. Will try and keep it contained. Don't think my husband will like the fact that it multiplys.

13. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Sorry about the pessimistic veiw above, but my experience has not been a very happy one when dealing with Sumac. Hope yours is better.

Transplant problems might also be due to the fact that you are trying to transplant a root sucker with little or no root of their own. (Single lateral root with stem arising from it.) If that is the case, you just need to let it grow in place for a bit to establish itself before transplanting. You can try and speed up the process by scraping off a small bit of the outer layer of the root near the stem. Rooting hormone sprinkled on the cut wouldn't hurt if you have some, or even some root starter. (Vitamin B1 solution)

Harry

14. gorisyed

gorisyed New Member

Don't apologise, I know exactly what you going through. I have similar experience with other palnts. However I think the sumac would work well for what I have in mind. Thanks for the advise. I will try it.
    Gori