Multiple Variety Apple Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by seanb, Aug 4, 2015.

1. seanb

seanb New Member

Hi All,

I recently moved to a new house in Vancouver and the garden has an apple tree with 4 or 5 different varieties grafted onto it. A few of the varieties are thriving while others are not growing at all.

The tree has had no care to speak of for months, yet it is bearing some fruit. Also, one of the apple varieties has black spots (see attached photo).

Are there any tips for caring for this type of tree and/or dealing with the black spots? I have had no experience with apple trees in the past.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

How your apple looks inside?

3. seanb

seanb New Member

I have attached a photo.

Attached Files:

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Apart from same general care as for all apple trees - including possible pest and disease control - multiple graft trees specifically need to be pruned in such a way as to prevent the more vigorous cultivars used from taking over, making the specimen lopsided. Also if it is possible your example does not consist of locally proven kinds there could be problems with excessive disease susceptibility, failure to ripen etc. - different selections have different regional suitabilities.

6. seanb

seanb New Member

Ok thanks. I will confirm the varieties, but it is definitely lopsided right now with a few grafts only inches from the ground and very small, with others much larger bearing numerous apples.

It seems I have much work ahead.