Fingerlime and Ugli fruit in BC?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by JToivonen, Jan 30, 2006.

1. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

Jungle.. Give it. Give it your all. Your postings has meanings. I hope you didn't misunderstand Millets posting. Or maybe I misunderstood. Your postings are great. Dale

2. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

There's no misunderstanding here, Millet and Laas know citrus!

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

drichard12 - Dale it is true, that any citrus of any kind that contains 6 or less seeds is considered to be seedless, under the USDA guidelines. I hope you did not think I was being rude to Junglekeeper, I was just amusing with him over the USDA's idea of what a seedless citrus fruit is. Only the government would come up with a seedy "seedless" guideline. I agree with you on Junglekeeper's postings. I think they are great. Few people have gained as much knowledge about citrus as fast as Junglekeeper has. His posts are always very worthwhile, I enjoy them. Take care - Millet.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I was just having some fun with words. Perhaps I was too obscure. My apologies. Officially, by definition of the authorities, I have no seeds, ergo nothing. And so through gardener's alchemy, new life is created.

I know the seeds won't come true but curiousity takes over.

6. Junglekeeper

Millet, I caught your 'seedless' humor - not to worry. And thank you for the praise; it means much coming from a master. Yet I still have much to learn.

7. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

Millet. I picked up on Junglekeepers humor at the time of his posting All your postings are always very well written and contains the much needed information that is being asked. "all is well"

I learned the seedless classifications from you a number of years ago. I enjoyed Junglekeepers posting ( As a gardener I am compelled to create something from NOTHING :) Into the soil they go! Dale

8. Millet

Junglekeeper, I almost never plant citrus seeds that come true to type, I only plant citrus seeds that DO NOT COME TRUE from seed. I can always purchase any type of citrus tree that comes true from seed, therefore not spend the time waiting for fruit. When one plants a seed from a citrus variety that DOES NOT come true you get a "one of a kind, never before seen on earth citrus tree." Usually the tree will turn out to be inferior, but rarely a top notch superior variety is born, if so name it after your self, and you have immortality. - Millet

9. Junglekeeper

I look at such seeds from a more practical perspective. With the availability of trees being scarce and pricey here I'd like to be sure that I can grow a seedling and keep it healthy before making the decision to buy a tree. In the case of the Ugli, close is good enough as I just want to have something unusual and to satisfy my curiosity. I think I'd be lucky to get tasty oranges indoors let alone a tropical variety like Ugli.

10. Millet

If you have a south window with 8 hours of sunlight during the winter months, you can grow most all varieties of "tasty oranger indoors." Just follow the basic needs of a citrus tree (which are few) and your chances of producing excellent fruit is 95 percent sure. Even though you are 1000 miles further north in Vancouver BC your weather is much more conducive to growing citrus than it is here in Colorado at 5,440-ft (1658 Meters) elevation. - Millet

11. Junglekeeper

That's encouraging. I'm looking forward to seeing how the trees do this year. They've all been recently repotted into a better medium. Not really expecting fruit this year though as they need to bulk up first on leaves and roots.

12. Junglekeeper

The last of my Ugli Fruits contained 14 seeds! The insects must have found something they liked and stuck around to do a thorough job of pollination.

13. Millet

To follow up on my above post, most people believe that citrus is a tree that requires full, strong sunlightlight. Citrus, like all plants, does require energy from the sun, and uses this energy to manufacture photosynthates (the trees food), out of CO2 from the air, and water and minerals from the ground. However, the truth is that the photosynthatic rate of citrus is actually quite low, and photosynthate production saturates about 650 PAR (photosynthetic activity range). In common terns a citrus trees reaches maximum photosyntate manufacturing capacity at only about 30 percent of full sunlight. So a tree cultivated indoors, should do quite well when placed in a south facing, or ever a western window. - Millet

14. Junglekeeper

Has anyone in the Vancouver area seen any Ugli fruit this year?

15. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I've been looking for them ever since I read about them here on the Forums - so if anyone does spot them, please do post.

16. DandyLioness

DandyLioness Active Member

I can only think of the UGNI fruit. I purchased one of these last year and they're supposed to yield fabulous fruit! Mine was too young, so I'll check it out next year.

ugni_molinae_small_01.jpg

17. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If it's any consolation, I've not seen any for sale over here, either.

18. Junglekeeper

I have one of these too but as a houseplant. Mine has not flowered because of all the pruning. The fruit I tasted at the nursery had a hint of strawberry. The flowers are supposed to have a nice fragrance.

19. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

I bought one at superstore of all places!

Attached Files:

• ugli.jpg
      ugli.jpg
      File size:
      120.9 KB
      Views:
  20. Junglekeeper

When?

21. Megami

I just checked and that photo I took on March 6, 2006, so must have been that day or the day before.

22. Junglekeeper

Too bad - I thought you meant you bought it this year. I've been checking their flyer every week and have not seen it.

23. Megami

Might be worth checking with the produce manager to see if he can get them in? This particular one I found at the superstore in Delta on Scott Road & 82nd ave.

24. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've not seen it this year, and I always visit the produce section looking for citrus.

25. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wonder if they've kept the year's crop to sell at the cricket World Cup??