Fingerlime and Ugli fruit in BC?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by JToivonen, Jan 30, 2006.

1. JToivonen

JToivonen Member

I know this doesn't have to do with the cultivation of citrus but I am wondering if anyone has seen Fingelimes or Ugli Fruit in BC, or the rest of Canada, and if at all posisble when you saw the fruit maybe even a grocery store or market? Thank you very much,
    Sincerely,
    James

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Ugli Fruit is listed in the collection of Plants of Perfection in Langley, BC. You could make an inquiry to the source of the plant and/or the fruit from which it was grown. You may have luck looking in the Asian supermarkets for unusual fruit. (e.g. T&T Market in Vancouver). Please report back if you find a source for these.

3. JToivonen

JToivonen Member

Junglekeeper,
    Thank you very much, I think that is the first I have heard of an actual source for an Ugli Fruit tree and would be very nice to get one, then maybe I wouldn't have to hunt around for the fruit at the store, although probally wouldn't be as good. Unfortunatly I live in the Interior of BC and so far all the stores say they don't carry the fruit and going to Vancouver to get the fruit may be worth it but is just not cost effective although I could give T-N-T a call and find out.
    Sincerely,
    James

4. Junglekeeper

James, try contacting South China Seas Trading Co. The salesperson said the owner may be able to special order items which they don't normally stock. This is a store that carries a variety of exotic produce. They were cutting up large stems of fresh, newly arrived Kaffir lime today.

5. JToivonen

JToivonen Member

Junglekeeper,
    Thank you very much that sounds exactally what I was after. Fresh Kaffir limes would be quite the treat too. I will contact them and find out and report the findings when I hear,
    Sincerely,
    James

6. Junglekeeper

They usually have a small basketful and today was no exception. A number of us in the forums have purchased them for seeds in the past. I'm guessing that's what you mean by treat since it can't be for the taste.

7. JToivonen

JToivonen Member

Junglekeeper,
    I have read that the peel is like the leaf for flavour but more pungent and can be kept in the freezer and used without loss, or little loss, of freshness of the peel pungency. Lime is one of my favourite flavours and even if it is much too tart by itself I imagine it may be good with some other juice like cranberry or even with food, I want to try every lime because so far I have only had the Persian and West Indian Limes of which only the West Indian is to my liking and I cannot get enough.
    Sincerely,
    James.

8. Junglekeeper

Just to clarify, are you looking for trees or fruit? If the former you may want to pick up a Eustis Limequat (sold as Key Lime) from your local Home Depot while they're available. It's a cross between a Mexican/West Indian lime and a Marumi kumquat and the fruit is similar to that of the parent lime but has an edible rind.

9. JToivonen

JToivonen Member

Right not I would prefer the fruit but trees are not too bad of an Idea. I have a West Indian Lime tree growing from seed at the moment and Meiwa Kumquat as well as generously donated Centenial Kumquat seeds from Board Member.
    Sincerely,
    James

10. JToivonen

JToivonen Member

Junglekeeper,
    I contacted South Seas China and they told me that ocassionaly they get both Ugli Fruit and Fingerlimes but only a couple of times in the last twenty years and unfortunatly not any time soon are they to be expected. Thank you for your help and if I do find a source I will post it here although I think that maybe they are going to put a bit of a dent in the pocket.
    Sincerely,
    James

11. Junglekeeper

The Real Canadian Superstore is having a Citrus Celebration this week (Feb 18-24). Ugli Fruit is one of the varieties on sale. I'm looking forward to sampling some of these myself. (The seeds are monoembryonic and will not come true.)

12. JToivonen

JToivonen Member

I got an Uglifruit from Ontario but unfortunatly it wasn't the highest quality but most of them were much worse off; There were only undeveloped seeds and this paticular one came from from Montego(spelling?) Bay and was under the brand name of Uniq fruit. The dissappointing thing about this one was the top ends were clear, hard and had an unpleasent flavour due to no juice formed or even flesh but the rest of it was like a sweet juicy mandarin and if it had been a better fruit it would have been spectacular none the less I'm glad I tried it and will buy them whenever I see one.

Although the seeds are not true to type I ordered some and I will see how they turn out and maybe I will get one that is realtivly close but I will not hold my breath and will get budwood in a few years.

Thank you for the heads up about the Superstore Citrus Celebration, I love that store and hopefully I'll get there and grab some,
    Sincerely,
    James

13. Junglekeeper

The look of the Ugli Fruit was not what I expected - walked right past without seeing them as I was looking for something orange colored. It's large and mostly green with shades of yellow in parts closer to the stem. The pulp is juicy and has a taste with hints of mandarin and Chinese pummelo which has a sweet but somewhat bland flavor. A seed collector may have to buy a number of these fruits as the two sampled so far resulted in only one seed.

14. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Have seen ugli for sale in Extra Foods in Sechelt. Loblaws in Ont. also sold them. Too far for you to travel I know but you might try some of the supermarkets near you.
    Margaret

15. Junglekeeper

Here is the link to the sole exporter of Ugli Fruit. There's a list of importers that can be contacted for someone trying to locate this fruit.

16. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ugli Fruit trees are sold by Thompsons Nursery, in Texas. I did not see it listed on his web site, but Citrus JoeNColo purchased one from them. - Millet

17. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Bought an Ugli fruit from Superstore today - will probably munch on it sometime this weekend!

18. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

Dan. good . glad to hear that their are citrus available.. I understand the so called wall . I hope your people don't ever have the problems we have in the states.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  19. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ugli's at a buck 49 each...I passed them over.

20. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, we enjoyed ours. A fairly light tasting citrus. Don't get too much bang for your buck.

At this time of year, I'll stick with blood oranges!

21. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

Hey Dan ...my understandings is that blood oranges is very sensitive to the cold. is this so. Dale

22. Junglekeeper

The fruit is somewhat pricy. While interesting, they didn't have the 'wow' factor like Clementines (from California not Morocco). There were differences in the five Ugli's that I tried. Some were much juicier; some had a thicker inner skin that had to be peeled away; some were totally seedless(*).

* Final seed count: #1-1, #2-0, #3-6(jackpot), #4-0, #5-0 Total: 7

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  23. Daniel Mosquin

Oh, I'm not one to speak to this. I'd defer to mr.shep. I just really enjoy eating them - one of my top five favourite fruit!

24. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Junglekeeper, according to USDA governmental standards (rules), all of the Ugli fruit that you list above are SEEDLESS. Any citrus fruit that contains six seeds or less, is considered to be seedless and can be marketed as such. Our governmen at work! (LOL) - Millet

25. Junglekeeper

As a gardener I am compelled to create something from NOTHING :) Into the soil they go!