looking for a Winter Berry shrub,ilex vert.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by rosy, Nov 21, 2014.

1. rosy

rosy Member

Is there a reason I can't find Ilex Verticilatta Winter Berry in the Garden Shops here on Vancouver Island?
    Thought it would make a nice winter plant for a boggy area on our property.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The most direct way to gain insight into the matter is to ask at the shops themselves - presumably you are talking about independent garden centers attempting to stock a broad range of plants and not box store plant departments or grocery stores etc., which on the other hand do not attempt to present anywhere near complete assortments.

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Here in the Kootenays where I live garden centers are most often willing to bring in the plant the customer is looking for, even if normally they do not have it in their inventory.

4. rosy

rosy Member

I have asked in a smaller garden shop. They are looking into it... but I was just concerned if they don't readily carry it... there might be a reason. They didn't know much about this ilex.. except it was a type of holly? Since I don't get out much, I go online to source my shrubs. That way when I make the trip they have what i am looking for. Must say most garden centres are not up on their computer inventory.
    I really like Brentwood Nursey in Brentwood Bay near Victoria. I check them out online, and then can make the trip to find.... treasures.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No, there is no problem growing it in this region.