Magnolia Tree pest management

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Marsha Andrews, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Marsha Andrews

Marsha Andrews Member

I have wrapped all my trees in saran wrap and filled any pockets with cotton to prevent (I forget what they are - gypsy moths?) from running up the tree where they spin their cocoons. Come spring the worms hatch and have a major banquet eating all the leaves. It's truly disgusting and unsightly to say the least. I'm surprised no one knows about that remedy here. I just moved here in May. Hopefully next Spring I'll see a big difference. Thankfully there are no neighbours that have trees that hang over my property that require this.

I do have a concern about a Magnolia tree on my property and I'll have to go through my books to identify the variety. Something was eating just the flowers but not the leaves. Does anyone know if there's a specific insect that's responsible for this and if so what I can do to prevent it. Magnolia trees are so exquisite and I would like to to whatever I can to avoid this from happening when it blooms next year.

Thank-you

Marsha Andrews

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

In regards to a possible pest eating the flowers on your Magnolia; According to our reference material, Magnolias rarely have pest problems. However weevils, or winter moths may be possible culprits. In order to properly identify the pest, you need to describe what the eaten flowers/leaves look like. For instance, is the whole flower eaten or just the edges? Are there notches, or burrowing marks obvious? Assuming that you are speaking of a deciduous Magnolia, examine the flowers next spring and send in specific information and perhaps we will be able to help you identify the problem.

3. Marsha Andrews

Marsha Andrews Member

Magnoliga Tree Pest Management

Thank-you for your reply. From the information you referenced, although some edges of the flowers have been chewed, it was more as you described like notches or holes and then a dark ring around it.
    I've seen many weevils and I've never seen so many earwigs - disgusting insects. With winter approaching they won't be a problem (I think?) and I'm told there are baits or traps you can buy and I'll definitely make sure I have a good supply of those come Spring so my clematis aren't chewed to death.
    From your information, it's my feeling that it's the weevils that are eating the Magnolia flowers. If so, what can I do to prevent it from happening?

Thank-you,

Marsha Andrews

4. We live in Northern Virginia and have a magnolia tree that is approximately 20 feet tall. The tree does not flower in the spring and has thirty-plus brown leaves. Are these signs of brown leaves and non-flowering something that we should be concerned?

Thank you for your advice.