plants for dry shade

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by trishmarg, Mar 30, 2007.

1. trishmarg

trishmarg Member

Hello,

I thought that this would be the perfect place to answer this quiestion, so I just joined this site, here is hoping I'm posting correctly. I am fortunate to have some beautiful, tall cedars, hemlock and blue spruce trees in our yard. They tallest must be 60 feet, and the others are not much shorter. I was wondering if any of you have a list of plants that can survive under there. I currently have a few hostas, tiarella(sp.?) and bleeding hearts. They are doing ok, but I was hoping for some non-invasive ideas. I have spent hours pulling out lamuim from the whole backyard.

Thank you,
    trishmarg

2. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Christmas ferns, Epimedium. Geranium macrorrhizum. Trachystemon orientalis, Hellebores, Wood Poppy, Lilly of the Valley, Corydalis lutea, and fern leaf Corydalis, Ophiopogon, Carex, Heucheras, Solomons Seal, false Solomons seal, Sanguinaria, Lillium, Euphorbia, Eupatorium rugosum, Disporum, Uvularia, Anemone canadensis, Maiden Hair Fern. Oh and BTW...I have been pulling out Lamiastrum for years and years!

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

My favourite plant for dry shades are the Polygonatum species.

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm at the point in gardening in that situation where almost all I have to say is "good freakin' luck!!" I have tried most of the plants named and most of them just decline for a few years after planting and then disappear. They seem to succumb to a combination of excessive dryness, inability to access nutrients due perhaps to soil acidity, and the host of cutworms and weevils that absolutely THRIVE in those soil conditions. If lamium grows well there you might want to save your money and count your blessings. The only scenario where I've seen plants grow well in this situation is when the garden/trees are at the bottom of a hilll and thus get a reasonable amount of moisture.

On the other hand, you can get good results in containers, although tree roots will even invade those eventually.

5. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Now, now don't be so pessimistic. All of the above can do quite well. Now if your are talking about planting them in concrete in the shade that's a different story.

6. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

When all else fails, try sword fern.

7. kome

kome Active Member

or try Skimmia japonic and sarcococca (Sweetbox).

8. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

good ideas...just make sure the Skimmia is very well drained...and does need watering the first year (plant with some gypsum).