Acer palmatum 'Coral Magic'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Nov 4, 2005.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I had not planned to post this tree to the gallery yet, but the fall color I say today made me feel it would be worth one photo. Another of the coral-pink spring maples, this one is sure to be a winner as are the rest. Also similarly named are Coral Pink and Corallinum, but other maples fall into this grouping as well. I do not see great similarity to Corallinum, but likey to Coral Pink. Unfortunately, I have not had the plant long enough to know.

The photo was taken today 11/04/05 of the lowest and only side branch on the 3ft leader. These leaves are a second flush of growth from earlier in the summer as the first set of spring least were lost to the sun earlier in the year. Becasue of this the leaf shape is not totally accurate, but I hope the orange-pink fall color is.

Attached Files:

2. neko musume

neko musume Active Member 10 Years

hello mjh,

can you tell me if the leaf shape, or color, on the rest of your tree look anything like the ones on mine:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=10334

i ask because the growth habit of yours, resembles mine, in the way the shoots gently droop, and in the orientation of the petioles, and the leaves upon them.

do you know anything about the history of coral magic.

thank you ! ^_^

n. musume

3. mjh1676

Neko-

you said in your other post that you had some idea of where your tree came from north of you--do you know the nursery.

I can share some thoughts about your tree, but I will do it in the other thread-it is not this one. And unfortunately I know little about Coral Magic--I am not even sure of its vailidity. I would be more inclinced to lean toward the Europen variety named Coral Pink. I think this one is a selected seedling, but of what I am not sure. Unfortunately, I am not really in-the-know as far as new maples go. No stacks of wholesale cataglogs and inside info from growers. I just dig and scavenge what I can find and give my impression of the plants I see.

Would you mind posting your reply in the unknown thread? I will check there. You have been doing your homework lately. Be patient, it will pay off. Even if you don't figure out your original questions, you will learn many other things that will be of value.

MJH

4. mjh1676

Spring foliage on a very small Coral Magic. A potential difference from related plants could be in its yellow-cream color near the base of the leaf as well as the degree of dissection in the lobes and a tendency toward a narow pointed lobe tip. I will follow with other photos. It seems pretty, but the colors are transitioning very fast--that is dissappointing.

Attached Files:

5. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

The vivid spring color of this cultivar is hard to describe. It almost hurts the eyes with its intensity. But it's unusual and holds its color for a good while in the spring garden.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

These photos were taken in the third day of 27°C heat in June 2020, it shows that Acer palmatum 'Coral Magic' is fairly hardy in high temperatures in my garden.
    It is in full sun all day long and holds its colours well throughout the Summer.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

How can anyone not fall in love with Coral magic. I have over the past few years. I will let today's photos of the 4th July 2020 speak for itself.
    I really don't care how it looks in the Autumn, my enjoyment is now !!!!

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

My Coral magic seems to flourish more than many others in the Summer rain. All the pinks, reds, greens and yellows seem to pop.
    Photo early morning 19th July 2020.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

I'm continuing the diary on this after several requests to do so. The colours are just outstanding on this cultivar. 26th July 2020. Summer has not dulled this one at all.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

The wind over the past few days has taken its toll, but my Coral Magic is still putting out new growth. A little bit of scorch at the tips, but I am not complaining. It is looking really pretty this year.
    Photo 30th July 2020

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

I have been asked if the heat is affecting my Coral magic as I have it planted in full sun. Well here it is on the 4th August 2020, still making lovely new growth.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    My favourite map,e in my garden today my Coral Magic.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

14th August 2020, rain at last here in England and Oh how my Maples needed it. Just over two weeks until Autumn starts here in the UK and the colours are rapidly changing.
    Trying to take as many photos as possible to keep up to date with the requests.
    Even with some sun damage my Coral Magic performs well. Looked very cheerful this morning.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

17th August 2020, now three days of heavy rain and my trees are picking up at last.
    My Coral Magic is looking it's best again, although this one copes very well with the heat.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

22nd August 2020 and my garden is looking like its Spring, all my maples are putting on this amazing amount of new growth. The weirdest year ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The yellows are appearing fast now. Love this cultivar !!!

Attached Files:

MapleMO likes this.
  16. Acerholic

25th August 2020, the calm before storm Francis arrives. And even some bright reds appearing today. Such a contrast of colours on my Coral Magic.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

Well it's the last day of August 2020 and as we have had a lot of rain and cooler weather here in England over the past two weeks, all my maples are doing well for the time of year.
    The yellows are appearing fast now. So very pretty in the change over from Summer to Autumn.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    I just cannot believe this new growth, got to stop soon!!!???

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and in Southern England it is getting warmer once again. So surprised to see my maples with such dry leaves this morning. But this year is so very different for so many reasons!!?
    OK new growth at this time of the year is a worry, but Sooooo pretty!!!

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    Posted as it was requested again last night. My Coral magic close up.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

15th September 2020 and half way through the month already, but it is hot again, 30°C yesterday and expected hotter today.
    But as is so often at this time of the year, the morning dew is here again, making trees look pretty.
    The beads of moisture on my Coral magic are so delicate today.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

22nd September 2020 and tbe Autum Equinox is here and so are the changes.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

29th September 2020 and after a request yesterday, here is my Coral magic this morning.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

5th October 2020 and very ominous dark skies that made my flash go off when taking photos this morning. My Coral magic stood out.

Attached Files: