Can someone ID this for me please?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by cjtvs, Jul 4, 2008.

1. cjtvs

cjtvs Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and quite honestly, know nothing about trees (as you'll see below with my questions). I've attached 2 pictures and have 2 questions.

#1) What kind of tree is this? It's in my front yard in a new development. We think it's an Elm, but I wanted to confirm.
    #2) What are these growths on the leaves? We started seeing them about 1 month ago. We have quite a few June bugs around our house now and some of the leaves look like they've been eaten. I'm not sure if the June bugs are related to the growths, but I'm hoping someone out there can tell me what it is, and if I should be doing something about it.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Looks like it might be Celtis occidentalis (Common Hackberry) with nipple gall.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to Raakel. The gall is caused by a eriophyid mite.

4. cjtvs

cjtvs Member

Thank you both so much. I really appreciate your help. I feel a little relieved now that I've done a bit more research and see that the gall or the eventual psyllids are not harmful to the tree or to us in our homes.

Thanks again for your help!