Myers lemon doing great

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by adallman62, Sep 1, 2008.

1. adallman62

adallman62 Member

I got my Lemon tree in Mar. 08 and put it in the ground right away. I added 2 bags of Black Cow to the hole and mixed it withh the local soil. The tree was about 5 ft tall and had about a dozen lemons on it. It now has about 30+ lemons of various sizes and is blooming again for the third time. Some of the older leaves are turning yellow and this started about the time it set the last blooms. is this normal. I live in northwest Florida and we have had a fairly wet year. Do I need to worry about the yellowing or is this normal? IMG000002.jpg

IMG000003.jpg

IMG000004.jpg
    I am really happy with my tree and an really looking forward to trying the lemons

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

"Probably" nothing to worry about, could just be old leaves coming to the end of their life cycle. Citrus leaves live about 2 years + or -. However, have you been fertilizing the tree? Citrus require a lot of nitrogen, and a deficiency of nitrogen shows up on the tree's older leaves. In your area a Meyer lemon should be fertilized 4 times a year using a 6-6-6 or 8-8-8 fertilizer. BTW if your interested there is going to be a one day Citrus Expo at the University of Georgia in Tipton, GA on November 15th. You would be welcome to attend. Registration at the door $15.00.- Millet

3. adallman62

adallman62 Member

Millet
    Thanks for the reply. I have been using a citrus fertilizer. I have been using it about every 2-3 months. Sorry I won't be able to attend the Expo.

4. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Welcome to the forum. Your tree looks nice. I have 7 inground citrus trees---with over 20 varieties. What part of Pensacola are you in--I too am from Pensacola--on the east side near the airport.

5. WestbraeGardener

WestbraeGardener Member

Millet, I saw your post about fertilizing the Meyer Lemon 4xs per year and wondered if you could answer a question? First of all, I am very new to gardening and just learned from a friend that my Meyer Lemon needed nitrogen since most of the leaves turned yellow. I fertilized my tree with a liquid nitrogen product derived from sea kelp and fish. It has gradually started to turn green but not completely. Many of the leaves are still yellow but show some green streaks. Do you think that I should re-fertilize it? It has a lot of fruit but the fruit is mostly green. Thanks!