yew tree

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by novice gardener, Jun 10, 2006.

1. novice gardener

novice gardener Member

I had two yew trees , one planted on either side of the front entrance way of the house.....one thrived and the other died.......when I dug up the dead one I found that the soil contained lots of " house construction waste material " ..like concrete, stones and rock.....I am guessing that concrete changes the pH of the soil and that affected the yew.....so my questions are:
    -firstly , am I on the right thought process here?
    - if so how do I adjust the pH to make it favorableto a yew
    - do yews thrive in acid or alkaline soils
    - how do I, except for buying, propagate a new yew......can I do it buy a cutting from the existing still alive yew.....or do I germinate one of the red arial seeds
    - if by seed...can you give me some details as to how to do so

many thanks to all responders.....this is my very first posting on this forum....so bear with me
    to the forum manager....thanks for accommodating me on this forum

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably got too wet, before or after you bought it. Yews demand excellent drainage, otherwise they are very tough and long-lived. In UK yews (and box) are characteristic of limestone ridges, so the calcium from the rubble probably would not have killed yours.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Novice Gardener,

Since Ron already answered your question about the needs of the yew all I will add is that possibly all that rubble left air pockets that held water or didn't surround the roots with soil.

To propagate the yew take hardwood cuttings of the stem tips in late autumn. It will take about 3 months before they root. You should find this helpful.
    http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/hort/g06970.htm
    http://www.caes.state.ct.us/PlantScienceDay/2000PSD/BasicPropPlants.htm

Newt

4. novice gardener

novice gardener Member

thanks to ron and newt for your hints...i will be careful with the watering next time....this fall I will try and propagate one

5. Newt

Novice Gardener,

You are very welcome! Good luck with the propagation.

Newt

6. novice gardener

novice gardener Member

newt...I will let you know the outcome.......because success is not garanteed... I will propagate 3 or 4....I only need one...thanks for your help

7. Newt

Novice Gardener, that would be wonderful!

Newt

8. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

On the subject of propagation, I'll add that most yews are some sort of selected strain, so if you want one that is identical to the still-alive one, then cuttings are your best bet. I don't know how to germinate the seeds, but even if you do that it is not certain that the progeny will be identical to the one you've got.

9. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Since yews are slow growers, you may have an asymmetrical planting in front of the house for some time, which actually is attractive. Another plant opposite the yew might look equally pleasing. I learned to check the drainage of a hole by digging say 18 inches; then fill it with water, let it drain, then fill it again with water and time the drainage. I have read that 30 minutes to two hours is acceptable, but perhaps not for all plants. Yews might want the drainage on the faster end of the spectrum.