very ill peace lily

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jwarndt, May 30, 2006.

1. jwarndt

jwarndt Member

Hi Chester,

I hope this finds you well. I tried emailing you but the letter came back as undeliverable.

A repotting/cloning that i performed on that peace lily two years ago did not go well and they struggled quite a bit, losing most of their leaves and I eventually put them back in plastc bag greenhouses. After a while I took I took them out. One died and the the other thrived for while, but then began to wilt, as if rootbound. So a couple months ago I cloned and repotted that survivor. This time they seem to be doing a lot better, perhaps because I made sure the soil was very, very loose. In addition I found a tiny leaf with a bit of root hanging onto it as I was cleaning up and potted that, as well. It seems to be thriving.

But one of them now is now sprouting a lot of anemic, yellow leaves. I don't think
    it's because of sunburn because I have several layers of thick plastic over the
    window to diffuse the light. They start off yellow and become full leaves without a
    bit of green in them and no browning around the edges. Do you have any idea what might be causing that? Perhaps a chemical imbalance in the soil or even too little light from too much plastic diffusing the light?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

regards, John Arndt

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Chester's advice is very good. I grow quite a few of these in our artificial rain forest as well as in pots in the house and an aquarium in my office. They love water, they just don't love soggy soil. The soil needs to be porous (which requires some mixing), they love bright light as well as evenly moist soil. The link below explains how they grow in nature as well as how to mix soil and why they sometimes respond badly or die in the home. By the way, we use the exact same techniques in the house as in the atrium so those that may be tempted to say I have an advantage, that reasoning does not hold true. Many people have written privately to tell us it works for them as well in their homes. We have seen as many as 18 inflorescences in the aquarium at one time. However, you should know despite common belief (explained in the link) only a few species of Spathiphyllum bloom year round. Most are very seasonable.

My friend aroid botanist Dr. Tom Croat of the Missouri Botanical Garden calls them "water hogs". I have a shot on the link below showing them growing in full direct sunlight in shallow water at a Costa Rican preserve.

We have seen these plants growing in water at many major botanical garden but also in soil that is well away from the water. They are very forgiving but they do have their preferences for optimal growth, especially the way the soil is prepared. Otherwise, you often end up with saprophytic growth which is basically anoxic (no oxygen) around the roots. Plants take in oxygen through their roots so the quality and mixture of the soil is very important for long term growth. We actually have a regular schedule for repotting everything that is not growing in the ground.

Lots of growers tend to disagree (and say so loudly) with the information on this link but it has all been verified scientifically with the page reviewed by qualified botanists. If you don't like it or prefer another growing method, please just ignore it.

Steve

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Spathiphyllum Clevelandii pc.htm

Attached Files:

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Hi Jwarndt:

Read about your troubles. I also read Steves' link . Lots of eye-opening info there. I am truly stumped about your troubles with your plant. I have always found peace lilies to be forgiving and one of the easier plants to grow. Your continued efforts with this plant makes me wonder if a) it has high sentimental value for you, or b) you are a very persistent person who does not like to admit defeat, or c) I don't know why.

Jwarndt I grow plants. I grow plants really really well. Some say I have a green thumb, some say I am a plant whisperer. I like that plant whisperer part. It aligns with what I believe about the plants that share my home. They are alive, they have some kind of feelings, and they know how I feel about them. A few times in my life of growing plants, I may have said 25 years, but in truth it is closer to 38, I have met a plant that just will not thrive. I tried everything, I read, I experimented, I rigged incubators, and the plant continued to decline (are you listening Portulacaria afra?). The plant belonged to my Mom who died of cancer. She took the little plant with her to the hospital as it was such a comforting little presence. When she died I took it with me and felt that I would keep this plant until the day I died. Almost immediately it started to look unwell and kept up a steady decline until it died about 2 months later. I sooooo wanted that little plant to live. I couldn't keep her alive, but I could keep her plant alive. For some reason that little plant did not want to live. I let it die as it seemed it wanted to go, was determined to go. I removed my attachment, my ego and my pride from the situation and let the little plant go.

You have tried your best with this plant. Let this plant go.

Take care Jwarndt and kind regards.
    Chester

4. jwarndt

jwarndt Member

Hello Chester,

I was hesitant to reply till I knew how the lily (actually 3 of them now, after their latest division and replanting) would do after an application of Osmocote. Two are thriving and growing, albeit slowly in the scarce winter light. One of those just made a flower. The third, (which faces south,) is the most active in producing new leaves, but 2/3rds of them are completely washed out and very pale yellow from the very beginning. They are firm and follow the sun when I turn the plant, but I'm not sure what use they serve and I'm concerned they may be blocking the light to those that are green. Should I trim them?

Thanks!

jwarndt

5. breedy

breedy New Member

Hello all,

Returning from vacation and forgot to have someone take care of my peace lily. The other plants (thankfully) are fine, but the peace lily has completely wilted.

My question is whether or not it can recover from this with enough care given that the leaves are still green.

Thanks,
    Ben

6. jwarndt

jwarndt Member

Sorry that I didn't reply sooner. I registered years ago with an email address I don't often check nowadays and only discovered your post tonight. (I will check it more often...)
    How is your peace lily? Did you give it a lot of water? Something that another contributor here recommended when mine was faring poorly was to build a little airtight greenhouse out of transparent plastic and leave it in there for a couple weeks.