Dwarf Peach Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by mpatil, Jul 30, 2004.

1. mpatil

mpatil Member

Hi,

I just bought a dwarf peach tree at Lowe's and was warned by a friend that it will attract bees and a lot of other critters. Is it true that it might attract a lot of unwelcome guests and be more a nuisance causer. I have two kids aged 7 and 3 who are usually playing in the back yard with a bunch of other kids.
    Is it better to plant it away from the house in a far corner?
    Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mpatil

2. Limey

Limey Member

While I am hardly an expert at this. I can relate my experiance. I have 6 fruit tree's two of them peach tree's as well as 2 large grape vines and while there always seems to be the odd bee and other buzzing insect floating around, this is not unusual in any wooded backyard with healthy flora and fauna. We have 2 kids (aged 5 and 6) and there is always a constant flood of "friends", "neighbours" and other guests in and out of our yard which is reasonably small @ under 1/4 acre. So far the only thing that has been stung was our dog, who took offence to a nosy bee one sunny afternoon.

Now, there are a host of parasites that can infect fruit tree's of any variety and you should read up on these and potentially spray pesticides appropriate to your area (where we live we can be liable if the infection spreads to our neighbours trees and their are restrictions as to what type and quantity of pesticides we can use). However we have been fortunate and with the exception of a minor case of brown rot we have never had any problems with our peaches and have never needed to spray for pests.

Limey

3. mpatil

mpatil Member

Thanks!

Thanks!