Pink & White Flowered Bush

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by WildCityWoman, Oct 10, 2004.

1. WildCityWoman

WildCityWoman Member

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

could be royal impatiens

3. WildCityWoman

WildCityWoman Member

Royal Impatiens?

Just looked that one up . . .

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/spectrum/portraits/500/kew028.jpg

Doesn't look like the one I posted.

Thanks anyway - an arborist, are you? Good stuff - I'll need to come back and pick your brains with tree questions. Nice to know you're here.

Carly

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey WCW, I think Jimmyq is right or close. The image you got from Kew is a New Guinea Hybrid. I think google found the word royal from the name of Kew to find that image. Try an image search for Himalayan impatiens. See this image

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

WCW: There are lots of folks here with tons of information to share. ask away and all will join in where they can. Sorry for the common name on the royal impatiens thought, I can never remember the botanical name for it. I have seen it here as a weed in the ditch, neglected gardens and damp field areas. It may be a different variety but its awful close.

after a quick google for royal impatiens, I found this within a page ( http://www.nwcb.wa.gov/weed_info/policehelmit.html ) :
    "Geographic Distribution: Native to India and the western Himalaya. I. glandulifera is considered naturalized throughout the United Kingdom, most of mainland Britain, Ireland, and several of the British Isles. It is found in 18 European countries between latitudes of 30 and 64 N; French Pyrenees, Holland, Germany, the Austrian Alps, Poland, Hungary, Yugoslavia, and parts of Russia. (Beerling and Perrins 1993). I. glandulifera is established in areas of western Washington and in the lower Fraser Valley of British Columbia (Pojar and MacKinnon 1994)."

6. WildCityWoman

WildCityWoman Member

I really appreciate this

Yes, I realize that you might be right about impatiens - someone else (on Great Lakes forum through the Garden Web) said the same thing.

I said 'impatiens'? But they're five foot tall . . . ha ha!

Yes - some call them 'touch me nots'.

I have done impatiens in planters and they were more or less the same thing - and they exploded when I touched 'em.

Well, thanks everyone - again, I appreciate this.

Carly

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Additional vote for Impatiens glandulifera (or a similar species). This is listed as a pest species here in Washington State, as it tends to proliferate in wetlands.