Transplanting Grape Vines

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by cfj, Aug 11, 2007.

1. cfj

cfj Member

I have 2 year old grape vines that needed transplanted a month ago (not my choice of timing but it had to be done at that time). They had scads of hardy immature fruit that I lost when transplatned. All of the vines also turned brown and look dead. I was going to leave until next spring to see if they happen to come back, and today, I see there are small shoots of new growth at the bottom. I am wondering if I should cut off all of the dead vines and let the plant regrow itself, or leave with all of the dead vines and let the new growth do whatever. Any advice? Thanks anyone.

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Leave it alone at this point. The vines have "self pruned" (which should have been done when they were transplanted) since the disturbed roots will have been unable to keep up with the transpiration and nutrition requirements of the pre-existing foliage. The best thing now will be to let the new growth grow and harden off and go dormant naturally. Take a photo now so you can be sure you are not being too hard on the new growth, and then prune when the plants are dormant. Next spring will show which ones are going to survive.

Ralph

3. cfj

cfj Member

Thank you so much for the advice! I did prune a bit when transplanted, but probably not enough. I will take your advice and see how it goes! Do you have any recommendations on particular fertilization? Do they need the nitrogen rich type of environement that I should do the coffee grounds in the earth around them?

Cathy

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Don't fertilize at all for the rest of this year.

Ralph

5. cfj

cfj Member

Thanks for your help.

Cathy