Will carpathian walnuts grow in B.C. interior?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Nite Hawk, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Nite Hawk

Nite Hawk Member

Howdy!
    A question for someone knowledgeable about walnuts..
    We live in the Cariboo, probably a zone 3-4, and I know that there are Black walnuts that grow north of us in a similar zone,but am wondering if different Carpathian walnut varieties might grow here in our area.
    I have been told by nursery people in Prince George that Carpathians winter kill in Prince George( don't know what variety of Carpathians they tried there).
    Prince george has a similar zone ( I think) as we do. Wondered if maybe they had a variety that wasn't tough enough, and other varieties might do better and survive, as I have been told some CaArpathians can handle a zone 3.
    Have heard their are tough varieties of Carpathians ( looking glass, maybe Hansen ) etc
    Anyone out there know anything?
    I tried to get ahold of Gelately nut farm, but could only get ahold of the park personel, not someone who knew about trees, so am trying here on this forum.
    The reason I am trying to avoid the Black walnuts, even though they will survive here is they release Juglans into the soil and can cause problems for nearby gardens plants, but have been told the Carpathians do not release Juglans like the Black walnuts do.
    Would like to try growing a few very hardy Carpathians if they will survive here, but don't know where to find them.
    Anyone out there know anything??
    Thanks...

2. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

Carpathians should be hardy enough. Butternuts are even hardier.