Pruning Tomato plants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Unregistered, Jun 30, 2005.

1. My plants are now about 3+ feet tall and now I learned about pruning suckers and lower clusters. Is it ever too late to pinch those lower clusters and suckers? My plants have flowers and small tomatoes already. Thanks!

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

If they are larger than the main stem, you might want to reconcider, but I don't worry to much if they are smaller. I also do it when there is fruit.
    Carol Ja

3. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I used to prune my tomatoes, but don't much anymore since reading somewhere about it not being necessary.

4. I have found they use much less water when pruned back due to less leaf surface area to evaporate from. Every bit helps when you are trying to conserve water!

5. Teri

Teri Member

where do the suckers grow? where I was told to pluck seems to be where the blossoms grow from?!

6. suz12

suz12 Member

The suckers are those branches that grow between the main stem and a branch (see pic). I too have heard to prune the suckers, but like you, half of my blossoms are on the suckers!

This thread is a few years old - may have better luck with a newer thread in the veggie growing forum (a recent one has already been started there - "to prune or not to prune")

Attached Files: