Growing Maples From Cuttings... Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by skatchmo, Sep 4, 2007.

1. skatchmo

skatchmo Member

I'm wondering if anyone has ever been able to grow a maple by simply planting a cutting. Or does it have to be done by grafting and germinating only?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Basically, by grafting or seed. Growing maples from cuttings is all but impossible.

3. kome

kome Active Member

I think it's depend on species. I have done tri-maple by cutting in the past few years.

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is certainly very difficult
    Some are supposed to be easier than others, but I have never had any success .....

5. skatchmo

skatchmo Member

I've been reading on some who've had good success using misters, and hydrophonics. Are you using techniques like this, and still having no success.

6. ToddTheLorax

ToddTheLorax Active Member

Possible. But difficult outside professional operation (unless you have an intermittent mist system and bottom heat.) It does depend on species. With respect to Acer Palmatum Dirr and Heuser says 1 to 2% IBA talc or solution, under intermittent mist. Note that most rooting compunds at your garden center or hardware store are.1%, not 1%. I think dip-n-gro full strength is 1%. The strongest talc I have is .8%.

Cuttings can come from plants forced to grow in late winter/early spring in greenhouse. Goes on to say rooted plants should be given supplementary light to induce a new flush of growth before winter, as those have a better chance of surviving overwintering.

encyclopedia entry cites some Tennessee results: bloodgood (97%, 80%, 83%) with 1% 1.5% and 2.0% IBA ethanol dip respectively. A palmatum seedling (83,90,90). Crimson Queen (97, 100, 87)...All with mist and bottom heat.

I've never done it. Sounds like a real pain....