Gunnera flowers

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by catson4, Nov 15, 2008.

1. catson4

catson4 Member

When getting ready to over winter a Gunnera, Should I cut off the flowers ?
    I have cut off the leaves as they "brown down" in the past 2 winters but this is the first year with flowers.
    I have been covering it with the cut off leaves and then straw and then a ground cover cloth that is anchored at the corners by rocks to keep it in place in the wind.

But what to do with the flowers?

Please and thanks for the info.
    Claude

2. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

Sure,just cut off the flowers. I've have been cutting off the seed pods regularly as they grow and only leave one or two big ones for character.

3. catson4

catson4 Member

DUNC,
    Thanx for the info. I have about 8 to cut off. it was very prolific this year as you can see from these photos I took on 6/10/08.
    And they all grew more and bigger.

Thanx again

Claude

Attached Files:

4. catson4

catson4 Member

Re: Gunnera flowers 12-1-08

I cut off the leaves and flowers today. Stacked the leaves over the top of the "growth head" or what ever it is called. That is what I have been doing for the last 2 winters. Seems to work.
    Here are a couple photos of the flower production this year . Looks like I will be able to seperate out 5 or 6 "babies" next spring. the 1st photo is w/ flash and 2nd is w/o.
    Thanx for the info.

Next is info needed on how & when to seperate the "baby" plants? Anyone know?

Attached Files: