Odd valley in Phalaenopsis leaves

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by xiongmaopanda, Mar 10, 2007.

1. xiongmaopanda

xiongmaopanda Member

This my first orchid. I got it for Valentine's Day from my boyfriend. I have no idea where he got it. I know it is a Phalaenopsis orchid. When I got it there was one open bloom and one bloom that looked like it had died. The other bloom eventually wilted and came off as well. Since then there have been no new blooms but the plant appears healthy. There are around 3 new buds at the tip of the spike. They haven't bloomed just yet but they appear to be close. I water whenever the orchid starts to dry out too much and I fertilized for the first time since I got it. I believe it may need more light for it to bloom but I am worried about giving it too much light. I've checked the roots and they are all green and firm.
    The leaves are firm as well. But one of the leaves has a sort of valley in it. I think maybe it was because water was left on the leaves while in the store. The valley hasn't changed since I've gotten it but, I'm not sure if I should worry. I'm going to attach pictures to see if I can get some help. I sure hope so. I don't want to lose it.

Attached Files:

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Odd valley? Do you mean the midrib??
    Your plant looks ok. Phallys do not like sun and will burn easily in too much light. What they do like is warmth and humidity.
    What is your mix. Looks like a moss topping. Is it in bark with a sphagnum moss covering? If in bark you should water every day but do not let water get in the new growth, just water the roots.
    Got any fertilizer. For a newbie I recommend Miracle Gro liquid plant food that may be found at Lowes. This you can use with every watering as it is very weak and is designed for frequent use.
    Hope this helps.

3. xiongmaopanda

xiongmaopanda Member

I suppose it is the midrib. That is a really bad picture (The camera wasn't cooperating). But, on my orchid the midrib seems to be dug out partially but, only on one leaf.
    My orchid is in bark with the moss on the top. Water everyday. What about root rot? I don't let water get on the leaves or anything.
    I've got some orchid fertilizer. Hmm...it is made by "Better-Gro". It is a urea-free fertilizer. Maybe I will try to find the Miracle Grow fertilizer.
    Thank you for your help.