Questions about Calamondin repotting

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Evaldas, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Evaldas

Evaldas Member

Hi everyone! I'm Evaldas and I'm from Lithuania.

So last week I finally fulfiled my dream and bought a nice Calamondin tree as a belated Christmas present for myself (cos earlier I couldn't find one at ANY shop). So way before actually getting it, I started making plans about how I'm going repot it in March (most likely - obviously not now because the days are like 10 hours long...), but I know pretty much nothing in this area, and I can't refer to internet articles because you read one article and then another contradicts the previous one. So I need you help, in one place.
    As I said I'm going to repot the tree in March, so I previously thought to myself "well, around March I'll go to an internet forum and just ask", but I couldn't resist asking right away :D.
    First of all, right now the plant is in a 15 cm in diameter plastic pot (by the way the pot is black, so a big question arises: wouldn't it be bad to put a Calamondin tree in sunlight with a black pot (well because black absorbs a lot of light and warmth?) wouldn't that be bad for the roots?) So I'm thinking I should repot it into a 19 cm in diameter pot, is that a good idea?
    Next, what soil mixture I should use? (I don't think they'll have at a shop a special soil mixture for citrus plants exactly, so I guess I'll need to mix it myself). I heard something about using mud from a river, something about that the soil's pH has to be slightly acidic. But I don't know anything else... Can you comment on this?
    Next, let's imagine I'm repoting it right now: so I take the tree upside down and take it out of the current pot, right? Next I shake of some of the soil of the roots, and spread the roots a bit. Then I take the bigger pot, and put the soil mixture on the bottom, NOW do I pack the soil in the bottom, or do I leave it loose? SO then I put the tree and put soil around it. NOW what do I do next? Water the plant or leave it?
    What about fertilizing after repoting? I heard you're not supposed to fertilize for about 2-3 months, because there are minerals in the fresh soil... So do I fertilize it?

And then a few other questions:
    It's normal for a citrus after taking it from the shop home to drop a few leaves everyday, right?
    And I placed it on a counter a bit further from the window instead directly on the window, because it's like -15C outside and even though the windows are new, if you place your hand near the window you feel cold (but it's not cold in the room). So I think I'm going to move it on the window when it gets warmer, does that sound good?

And if you're interested here's a picture of the tree
    http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5162/img2375c.jpg
    (I mentioned it being in a black pot - it is, just the black pot is placed in this orange, ceramic one.)

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

If the container will be exposed to direct sunlight, there will be a risk of the soil temperature exceeding that which is recommended for the roots if the container is black (or some other dark color). It has been suggested that such a pot be whitewashed or shaded by having it placed inside a bigger sized container.

Citrus does prefer a slightly acidic soil. Use a mix that is porous and is quick to drain. One medium that is often mentioned in these forums is CHC or coconut husk chips. Another is one that includes bark chips, perlite, and peat moss. There has been much past discussion of these mediums in the citrus forum. Take some time to go through them.

I would tamp down the soil at the bottom during transplanting but only slightly, same as what I do with the surrounding soil. Give the tree a good watering afterwards. Whether to fertilize immediately is debatable. I believe it tends towards not doing so.

3. Evaldas

Evaldas Member

Hmm,
    I came across a soil on the internet for citrus plants that they sell here in Lithuania. It says:
    "Special soil for houseplants and conservatory plants that demand high soil properties and characteristics: lemons and other citrus plants, coffee trees, jasmines, fig-trees, pomegranates. Made of natural ingredients based on: peat, humus, natural structuring, deoxidating and fertilizing components."

What do you think? Does it sound good? It's made in Russia...

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I can't really comment on the online offering, not having seen it first-hand. Generally speaking, premixed mediums are not well suited for citrus - at least where I live. They tend to contain too much peat moss which retains too much moisture when watered. I amend these mixes with bark chips, perlite, and fired clay bits to make it more porous.