Dicentra spectabilis "Gold Heart"

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by Weekend Gardener, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Dicentra spectabilis "Gold Heart" is my favourite perennial at this time of the year.

28Apr08 109 1000.JPG

28Apr08 110 1000.JPG

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

What a lovely plant, WG!!!
    I wonder if I can get them in Aus?
    Do you think they would die down in sub tropical?

Ed

3. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

They grow like weeds here but they will look unhappy as the weather gets warmer and drier; the gold one seems to last longer than the standard green one, in my garden, but I have nonetheless started cutting them down before mid-summer. And summer here is not very hot ...

4. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Dicentra spectabilis is a woodland plant, preferring moist soils and dappled shade. This one in our garden gets morning sun, is in moist soil and a cooler corner of the garden. In this position, it looks good into August, before the leaves and stems start to sag and look ragged. I have a pink flowered variety doing well in full shade under a tree. Gold Heart's leaves are not as vibrant gold in full shade. On the other hand, the leaves bleach, fade and even burn exposed when to full midday and afternoon sun.

I am not sure about a source of the plant in Australia. It's so striking, however, I suspect that it would have been introduced there if it is known to do well in the type of climate you have.