What is this strange vine?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by pickles, Aug 11, 2007.

1. pickles

pickles Member

I have a small garden and a vine started growing. It is underneath a wild bird feeder and could be anything. It is very fast growing and has flower buds, but none have opened as yet? Should I pick it like the other weeds, or let it grow?

Attached Files:

2. Puddleton

Puddleton Active Member 10 Years

Hi Pickles,
    It's an interesting leaf shape. Plant classification and identification relies on determining many characteristics of the species in question. Herbarium collections are perfect examples of what is required of a plant sample for identification purposes.
    In addition to providing a sample of leaf shape, it's helpul to provide the flower bud you mentioned, a stem with the leaves attached, a flower, seeds. By providing these, identification can be quick and easy.
    At an initial glance of the leafd alone, I'd be guessing it's in the genus of ipomea or convolvulous

3. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

Ipomoea hederacea may be? (common name ivyleaf morning glory), it has variable leaves shape.

4. Jubie

Jubie Member

Hi Pickles,
    I would tend to agree with Puddleton, sounds like a morning glory of a type, or possibly a nightshade of some sort.
    Your pics are huge, try to scale 'em down a bit, and do send in more pics of the rest of the plant. Can you just go out and take a pic? Or do you need to scan it in?
    Anyway, I would be interested in the conclusion of this thread;0)

Jubie

5. pickles

pickles Member

I tend to agree with everyone about a morning glory. The flowers have opened.

Attached Files:

6. Jubie

Jubie Member

Hey, these pics are nice. Shows the plant real well.
    Nice blossom color.
    So are you going to keep it? Or pull it? Just curious. Looks like it may have been put there years ago, and finally came back up. Because of the fact that it's perfectly placed to climb up that post there! It could have been killed back because of uncontrollability. Morning glories are pretty resilient.
    Good luck!

7. pickles

pickles Member

this is the first time I've ever seen it. It grew under a bird feeder. I am not surprised I got something, just surprised it wasn't a weed! I probably won't pull it as long as it doesn't effect my peony or my columbine. Thank you for your help. Although I was hoping for a pumkin!!

8. cowboy

cowboy Active Member

That's a lovely colour. Does anyone happen to know the cultivar?