Appreciation: Maple "Salads" - Spring 2011

Discussion in 'Maples' started by nelran, Apr 3, 2011.

1. nelran

nelran Active Member

It have been a long time without post for my part at UBC. So I picked my camera and even with a pretty cloudy day I took some pics today for my JMs. So far weather is fairly good: temperatures in 60s and 70s, no rain, so the JMs are in full splendor now. Enjoy it.

Attached Files:

2. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Very Nice looking maples!
    Especially for the Houston area!

3. nelran

nelran Active Member

Thanks "Crazy". Yep Houston isn't the ideal area to grow maples, no doubt, But I love these trees. From Feb to May-June is the time of the year that I can really enjoy the JMs in full splendor, then from June to Sept I have to keep my fingers crossed.... too hot. However, with some exceptions, they always surprise me with again the next year with beatiful leaves. Ironically, last two winter were specially cold, and almost all my "Tropical zone" was killed, including several 15'-20' King and Queen palms. Sometimes too hot, then too cold.

nelran

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Great pictures. The maple in pics 4 and 8 is particularly beautiful, also like the one with red tipped green leaves in 2 and 7.

When you see them looking so lush at this time of year it is hard to imagine they are in Texas; even us Europeans know how hot it can get there in summer. In England the Japanese maples look similar to that in early to mid May.

5. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

Your maples look great! i wish mine were done pushing so i could enjoy them like yours!

6. nelran

nelran Active Member

Thanks Maf,
    Here ussually the cold is gone by early march, so some of the JMs start to leaf out two weeks later and for this time of the year (almost) all are in full splendor. It can be assumed that we have a longer season, but the truth is that most of them will get sooner or later leaf sunburn during summer. Some of them even push a second set of new leaves by october! Is not uncommon here see a good quantity of the maples still with almost full leaves in early december. It seems pretty weird, I know, but it's the behavior of most of my JMs here.

Respect to the maple with red tips, it is a A.P. 'Tsuma Gaki'. I have kept this plant for three years, and this is the first season that it is showing the true colors and characteristics of this cultivar. It is wonderful.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  7. nelran

nelran Active Member

Thanks for your compliments. Surely yours will leaft out late with warmer temperatures, but be sure that for summer, I will wish to get mine in your location!.

8. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

i am in seattle area and love it!!!

9. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

wow!beautiful job !!