Philodendron bipinnatifidum, taking cuttings?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by The Waubaushene Witch, Sep 3, 2008.

1. The Waubaushene Witch

The Waubaushene Witch Member

I have diligently read all relevant posts on the subject yet am still somewhat mystified as to where exactly to make & take cuttings from this philo; late summer 08 030.jpg

late summer 08 028.jpg

"PROPAGATION: Pieces of stem that contain at least two joints can be inserted as cuttings in pots of sandy peat or in a mixture of sand and peat moss in a greenhouse propagating bench in the spring or summer." botany.com

After carefully examing MY philo, i'm not seeing the nodes/joints, but rather stems branching out from the centre of the plant, each containing one large leaf. Where are these joints I am looking for? and where on MY plant could I make cuttings for propagation?

"I just cut mine 1" on each side of the arial roots the plant shoots off as it grows. I let it dry for 2 days and place them in a new pot with a light peat based potting soil. Leave them alone at this point and they will root and start growing new plants. I have turned 1 plant I bought at Wal*Mart into a jungle in my house! I find that plants will not "split" the leaves for only two reasons, Very young or not enough light. Avoid direct sunlight which will yellow and kill the leaves, keep 5'-8' from a patio door or window. Hope this helps."

*note; after closer examination, There seems to be some nice aerial roots emerging from the centre....are these what i should be making my cuttings from? The above statement in red has left me scratching my head...a diagram as to where EXACTLY the cuts should be made maybe the most helpful ?

^^ originally posted in plant I.D. threads, my bad. Regardless, I've yet to locate my node.....

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

You might want to move this thread to the "Aroid forum". You may get more of a response there. I have never taken a cutting of this species as they are a dime a dozen over here, but I will find out for you or someone may know in the interim

Ed

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to Araceae)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Yes it may be cheaper just to buy another plant, or maybe they are not as common up there in Canada. Someone may have some local knowledge

Ed

5. The Waubaushene Witch

The Waubaushene Witch Member

to note: we have VERY harsh winters here ZONE 4 [N. Ontario, Canada], tropical plants do not grow nor are readily available here....

6. trikus

trikus Active Member

Very difficult to propagate self-headers by cuttings ,, after planting out and growing it for 20 years it may get a basal sucker you could remove .

7. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

+1

My meconostigma aroids sometimes develop offshoots along the sides. It is very easy to cut them off the main stem and then plant them.

This is a bad pic (I had been taking a pic of the entire group of plants) showing new small leaves growing out of the side of my 10 year old P. bippinatifidum.

I regularly cut these off and throw them away (I live in NJ and have no space for too many plants)

Attached Files:

8. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

next time, instead of throwing them out, send the offshoots to me...i'll reimburse you for the postage.

9. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

Sure, no problem....I just cut out one too...I'll let you know when it grows back up....

10. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

that would be great, thanks!!

11. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

Waubaushene, if the pictures you posted are from the philodendron you would like to take cuttings from, I think your plant is still very young to get cuttings from. You might
    need to wait a few years....