Stems on zz plant look withered

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by jnc1335, May 26, 2008.

1. jnc1335

jnc1335 Member

Hi,

I need help please. My ZZ plant stems look wither. However, the leaves are not yellow. I have tried watering once a week. It does not help. Not sure what else can I do to make my ZZ plant stems "solid" again. My ZZ is not under direct sunlight. I have solid and liquid fertilisers but dare not put too much either.

Thanks & regards
    Jimmy

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Re: ZZ plant question

What type of soil mix is your plant in? Is the soil more like a cactus soil or just regular potting soil? The soil mix can easily affect the health of the plant.

Please read this entire article and then tell us more about your plant:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Zamioculcas zamiifolia pc.html

3. Tommyr

Tommyr Member

Watering once a week is too much, they don't need much water. Try backing off for a few weeks.

4. photopro

Sorry, that information is scientifically incorrect. Read the link I gave and you can learn about the science of this species. That is nothing more than an internet myth. Botanical gardens are now growing this plant in tropical atrium's with almost daily water. I've done it for three years!

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Zamioculcas zamiifolia pc.html

5. jnc1335

jnc1335 Member

Noted about watering... but how do I solve the stems problem? I have taken some pictures but no sure how to post or send it over so that you can see my ZZ plant condition, tks

6. jnc1335

jnc1335 Member

Hi Steve,

I am using light potting soil and my ZZ is near the windows but no direct sunlight. I have some photos but not sure how to get them to you. I think if you can see the photos you will have an idea the condition. It is not dying but the stems are withering not the same as before big solid and swollen.... which is very sad...

Thanks & regards
    Jimmy

7. photopro

Photos would really help:

Click on Go Advanced beneath the box where you write text
    Click on Manage Attachments
    Look for the file and upload it

I need to know if the petioles, what most people call stems, are blackened or bent. What exactly do you mean by withered? If they are only dry that is not a problem. This plant uses the petioles to store water just like a succulent.

8. photopro

Sounds like the plant is simply low on water. In my article I explain it uses the petioles, what you are calling stems, to store water. They would be swollen. But during the dry season it slowly utilizes that water. My concern would be if they are rotting. Not anything we can do about that other than cut them. I just gave you a brief lesson in how to load your photos.

9. jnc1335

jnc1335 Member

Roger Steve. Am trying now... hope you can see the pdf, tks

Attached Files:

10. photopro

To me, I see no evidence of damage. Some simply looker plumper than others but that would be a result of water storage. This species is not like all other plants in that it is capable of storing extra water within the petioles and using it as needed. It works exactly like a succulent in that goal. If there was something wrong you would see evidence of blackening or extreme reduction in size.

I believe you are just over concerned with no real reason.

Now, plain potting soil is not good for this plant. The soil in your photo appears to be just off the shelf potting soil. You need to amend it. Start with about 40% of this soil mix and add to that at least an equal amount of sand. Then put in a good helping of Perlite. If you do that you will have a soil similar to what the plant lives in normally in Tanzania.

Water the plant as you would just about any other plant. If you over water, no big deal! Just don't underwater and make sure youf pot will drain easily. That means it must have drainage holes in the bottom. Also, if you place a tray of some sort, like the ones that often come with plant pots, that will collect and hold the excess water. DON'T dump that out. It will create a humidity zone around the plant and I promise these plants love it. The humidity in my atrium never drops below 85%!

But as far as I can see, you have nothing wrong with the petioles.

11. jnc1335

jnc1335 Member

Hi Steve,

It was a relieve to hear that there is no damage to my ZZ plant. The petioles look different from the time I bought it in Feb 2008. And the last time I killed 2 pots of ZZ plant before this - the leaves turned yellow and roots rotten. Noted about blackening and reduction in size. Ok, I will check with the florist for sand and Perlite. Do I put the Perlite on top of the soil after I have mixed the two, current soil and sand?

Also noted about the tray when collected water. Usually I will remove the water so as not to have excess water for the plant. I will not remove this time round.

Let's hope in days to come I can get my petioles big and swollen again like the original ones. By the way, what type of fertiliser should I use to make the plant grow bigger, greener and more shining?

Thank you so much.

12. photopro

Just thoroughly mix the soil you have with the sand and the Perlite. The Perlite will absorb excess water and give it back as the mixture begins to dry. That way the plant has a constant supply that is not soggy. But despite what everyone has been told on the net, this plant does like humidity and water. Like so many other plant species on the internet, someone concocts an idea and even though it has no basis in science it sticke! The idea this plant does not need or want water is bogus.

It just doesn't like to be soggy. The sand will speed drainage while the Perlite soaks up excess. The remaining soil will hold just enough to keep the plant's roots happy and the moisture will improve the environment. My guess is you'll see the petioles get plump again.

If you want to cover the soil don't use a moss. Instead put a thin layer of orchid bark. I often use orchid bark/charcoal mix around plants because it looks natural and still is attractive in the house.

Send a note if you still feel you have a problem later.

13. jnc1335

jnc1335 Member

Dear Steve,

Just to update you on my ZZ plant. Have tried to get the Perlite, Orchid bark and or Charcoal mix at the nursery and florist shop but could not get hold of them. The staff there gave me the substitute instead. My ZZ plant petioles have not grown fatter/bigger, the old plant still looks the same. Recently I could see 2 new growths coming up and I am quite excited and waiting for them to open up the leaves soon. I water plant and make sure the soil is totally wet and the water drain easily too.

Next, the other day while looking at plants at a florist shop. I saw this new ZZ plant, looks very healthy and beautiful. I just could not help it but to buy it! Back at home, I repotted it to a bigger pot because the existing pot was too small and a bit broken already. While removing it from the old pot, I noticed a small worm crawling around. I tried to catch it but could not. Then I brought the whole plant and soak the roots in the water. I do not know whether this helps to get rid of the worm. I also do not want to damage the root too much. After that I repotted the plant and wet the soil totally. I will try to take some pictures and show you my new ZZ plant this week.

Meanwhile, is there any problem if the worm is still alive? What or how should I get rid of the worm?

Thanks for your valuable suggestion again in advance.

Warm regards
    Jimmy

14. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Jimmy,
    I don't think Steve posts on here anymore, but if it is just a garden worm then that will do no harm to you plant.
    Good luck

Ed

15. jnc1335

jnc1335 Member

Dear Ed,

Noted with thanks.

Warm regards
    Jimmy