Sago Palm Dead?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by errodr, Mar 17, 2007.

1. errodr

errodr Member

Hello,

I am have a question about the health of my Sago Palm trees. A couple of months ago both Sagos turned totally brown. The winter here was typical, a few days below freezing, but that's it. I had thought that maybe once the weather warmed up they would come back. This has not happened.

Are they dead and without hope?

If there is hope, what do I need to do to nurse the palms back to health?

The palms are outside in large pots, in full sun. I believe the drainage is good. They were beautiful and green until winter.

Thanks...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Sago Plam Dead?

Doesn't sound too good. Did your minimum temperature get below -8°C? Or did you have any unusually wet periods through the winter?

I suspect you may have to wait some time yet to see if there is any new leaf production, which may be your first clue to their survival.

PS it's a cycad, not a plam ;-)

3. errodr

errodr Member

Yes, we had a pretty wet winter. The temp. did not go below -8 C. Should I cut off all brown? I realize it's a cycad...

Thanks...

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably root rot from the wet, then. Time will tell whether it survives or not, but I'd not be too optimistic. Best to wait a while before doing anything.

5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I agree with Michael, you'll need to wait for a flush to see if it's really dead. I have one outside all year round, but I have to protect the top from cold. Every year I get crap looking fronds, then in comes the new flush of green.

6. LadyBee

LadyBee Member

Hi.........I just got on to this site and noticed your post of a long time ago. How is your sago palm doing? You described your palm as if you were talking about my palm. My son gave me my first palm just before he passed away. It's a sago but I don't know which kind. It's in a pot on the front porch. Add 5 leaves (I don't know what there called) was so green and pretty but through the winter (zone 8 here) they all turned very tan. I just can't loose this palm. I waited for winter to pass and now spring is here and I just cut off the tan ones cause I see green down below there. The coldest it gets here is down to 30. My husband says to feed them blood meal. Is that correct?

7. Carol Ja

You can cut the fronds off (leaves) if they are completely brown, as it will make no difference to the plant, as for food, you can give them 10-5-8. You can go to a nursery, they will most likely have some, they'll know what it is. Or you can just ask for palm food, as its the same as what your Sago Palm (Cycads Revoluta) will want. Hope your plant recovers well.

8. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

If only the leaves are dead, that's okay, but if the caudex (trunk) has rot, you are in trouble. Wiggle the fronds and see whether they pull out of the caudex easly. If so, are they mushy at the base? If so, pull them all out and then dust with a fungicide. You may be able to save it. It was probably the rain that did it; keep them under cover in the wet season. Good luck!

9. LadyBee

LadyBee Member

Thank you both for a quick return on my message. I tried pulling out the fronds and I can't so I will cut them off as suggested. I do have it on the front porch where it gets morning shade until about 1pm then afternoon sun. Do you think that's to hot for it.Our summers can get to 100-104 but usually stays in the 90's. Thank you also for the advice on food. I'll pick up some of that also but...........how do I tell what variety this is........he did'nt tell me if it's 'cycads Revotuta'. do you think if I took it to a nursery they would be able to tell me?

10. Carol Ja

If he called it Sago Palm...it's Cycad revoluta. If it is a different name, you have a picture with fronds/leaves, we can id it for you.