Ornamental Plum trees. Diseased ?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by BunnieBE, Oct 17, 2006.

1. BunnieBE

BunnieBE Member

We have a number of Ornamental plum trees growing in our strata. With dark red leaves and beautiful pink blossoms in the Spring, they are very pleasant.
    However of late SOME of the trees are losing the bark around the base of the tree
    up to around 2 feet. The bark appears to be stripping in a verticle direction, if that is any help. But I must say that the foliage looks great and doesn't appear to have been suffering at all. The rate of growth of the trees is good, and they are pruned every year, but always bounce right back by late Spring and summer. One of our owners removed his tree citing information from a Garden shop that suggested a disease. Since our strata has over a hundred of these trees, we are concerned should this be
    the case. We would appreciate any information you could afford us. I can send photos of the trees, bark, leaves etc, if it would help.
    Bryan

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cats?

3. BunnieBE

BunnieBE Member

Sorry, but definately not cats. Cats are not allowed to roam out in our Strata, night or day. I took a close look at our 100 odd trees we have in our strata. I would say
    approximately 40% are losing their bark. Two or more trees are dying. There are some trees that are not in any way effected. We received one comment that the trees are being desroyed by an air born fungus. I have photos of some seriously damaged trees if anyone would care to see. Is there any professional help to be had,we would be thankful. I would hate to think we would have to destroy all these trees

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you have pics, post them! it will help in possible diagnosis theories for sure.

5. BunnieBE

BunnieBE Member

Photos show general description of trees. Bark falling off on trees, and finally A tree recently cut down to view that health of the trunk.

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

One shown was planted too deep or got buried later. That could actually have something to do with it. Otherwise a skinny little trunk, pollarding mentioned and visible in photo might have had a role in this by forcing the tree to use energy reserves every year to replace cut away top growth.

You are mentioning people there announcing what they think is the problem, then asking for professional help here. You've just been talking to garden center clerks or other non-professionals? Maybe one of them was right anyway. And if you have already talked to a consulting arborist or horticultural consultant, maybe they were right. If what, exactly they said didn't stick with you then maybe they needed to give you a printed report or letter, which would be expected from a professional.

Try telephone directory or internet directory for consulting arborists/horticultural consultants if you haven't talked to someone with a title like this or need another opinion anyway.

7. BunnieBE

BunnieBE Member

Thank you for your efforts so far. I would like to comment a little further regarding these trees. First of all, these ornamental plum trees were planted approximately 10 years ago. after we had the existing flowering ornamental cherry trees taken out. The reason for that was that the cherry trees roots were to shallow and coming up through the grass. The new trees, we were assured, had roots that went much deeper. Certainly we have not seen any protruding roots, so maybe they were correct in that statement. However, it should be known that when our Estate was built in Ladner, the contractors had to poor some 5 to 6 feet of sand over the ground, and there after added approximately around 6 inches of earth ( if you were lucky ). Naturally, the sand operates like a sponge and the ground has to be frequently watered during the summer months, particularly these last two very hot and dry years.
    I have also noticed that as a 'general rule' the trees less effected are the ones where
    no plants etc are surrounding the trees.
    Could it be that with lower tree roots hitting the sand and surrounding plants, that these trees are being denied the nutrients they require.
    It places a new prospective on this mystery. I would appreciate your comments on this latest information.
    Many thanks
    Bryan Bunting

8. Ron B

Doubtless Japanese cherries were grafted on sweet cherry (Prunus avium) rootstocks which produce thick horizontal roots that lift sidewalks and get in the way of mowing. Otherwise, nearly all moist climate trees have a pancake of fibrous roots found mostly near the surface. This becomes especially apparent when a large native tree falls over to reveal a nearly board flat bottom where the roots hit the less aerated subsoil and went sideways.

If I were on the site I'd be inclined to talk about revising the pruning approach. I would also want to dig around the bases of the trees and uncover their crowns (if too deep), examine the soil conditions.

The trunk problem I have seen here as well but do not have a specific diagnosis for, might check with Cooperative Extension to find out what they call it. Up there it would be BC Ag or Ag BC, however it goes.

If most have the funky trunks but a few have died or are dying, you might check those few for signs of Cherry Bark Tortrix. It drills out purpleleaf plums and related trees, soon killing them. There will be holes and sawdust if you have that. Of foreign origin, regionally it started up there and has come down here. So it has been up there awhile and become a significant factor.

9. BunnieBE

BunnieBE Member

Again, many thanks for your assistance. I shall persevere with this problem until either it is solved or 'out come the trees' (for the second time in ten years). I have made note of your suggestions, and will do what is necessary after further enquiries.
    Kind regards,
    Bryan Bunting