Photo of a Fully Mature Evans Cheery tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Mil1ion, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Mil1ion

Mil1ion Member

Hi Everyone,
    For my first post I am requesting info on where to view a fully mature evans cherry tree.
    I need to see one before I go purchase one.

I have heard great stories regarding these but, I gotta See it :)

Thanks for any help,

Dennis

2. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Mil1ion,
    The Evans cherry is just like any other sourcherry you see around the world. The original tree is on Horsehill (between Edmonton and Fort Saskatchewan). I doubt that tree is still alive since the property changed hands over 10 years ago. There are many trees in metro-Edmonton. You can also visit the Horticulture Centre in Brooks. Since you are in Innisfil, the closest to you will be in Elnora. Contact D&A Gardens at Elnora to view one. They also sell Evans and other materials. You might be better off with the dwarf sourcherry bred by the University of Saskatchewan. They are Mongolian Cherry x Sourcherry hybrids. These are hardier, produce dark color meat with small round stone as opposed to Evans that has yellow meat with long stones. Is the shape of stones important? It depends on your processing methods.
    Peace
    Thean

3. Mil1ion

Mil1ion Member

I eventually went to DNA gardens after finding on the web.

I just can't seem find a regular pic of a mature one.I needed to know what to expect as the dimensions are fine but I wanted to make sure it is slightly attractive as we will looking right at from the deck in the back yard.

I ended up buying one that is 2 1/2 years old from DNA.(4ft tall)

That Tamara is a great gal & was extremely helpful.

Thanks for responding :)

D

4. Jo22

Jo22 Member

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, I have one that is now 5 years old and is approx. 11-12 feet high. We think it might have reached maturity.

I have attached a picture, there is a net on the tree as it was full of cherries. The fence is 6 feet tall.

Attached Files:

5. Mil1ion

Mil1ion Member

Thank you !

That helps tremendously :)

D