pear tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by antonio, Feb 8, 2005.

1. antonio

antonio Member

I have a pear tree that is approximately 7-8 years old that has never produced fruit. It is only a few metres from one that does, so I don't think pollinating is a problem. It seems healthy otherwise. Any ideas out there as to why? Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks. It does flower, by the way.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The other one may not be a suitable variety, you have to match them up, same as with apples. Not just any other will do. Also, even after 7 or 8 years, it may not be old enough to bear. Does it flower?

3. friedemann

friedemann Member

I don't know how your pear tree is going, but I can only give you the info I know about mine. Maybe it is 10 years old. Bartlett pears. I don't have a second tree for pollination, but that doesn't seem to matter. I have gotten fruit off it every year.

A tree will produce fruit when it is stressed. It gets stressed thru the lack of something in the soil, and by pruning. I havn't been pruning mine well. Neither on my apple. My neighbor a 92 year old Japanese orchardist says you got to prune out the strong branches.....the fruit will develop on the weaker branches. It sounds kinda weird to me but I am amazed on the amount of apples he gets on his old tree. LOADED every year. I have had a year where I had 220lbs of my 10' high by 10' accross apple tree, and then the next year had 0. What I did different, I don't know. But I do know that I don't prune my pear hard enough. It looks more like a ball on a stick, it has so many branches. It needs to get light to the inside of the tree on less branches(not a thousand fingers, just 20 or so arms) Basic pruning technique is 2'up trunk then branch out in 4 directions 18 ", then branch out in 2 or 3 and another 18, branching, and another 18. Basic tree pruning as best as I can figure.

I get flowers every year, even in the year I got no apples. You may have got a frost??