Identification: Is this Pink Shell? More likely Afterglow - Mid-season single pink, spreading tree

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by wcutler, Apr 10, 2009.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I know Douglas Justice told me that 'Pink Shell' will take a few years to get into the trade, but that's not going to stop me from guessing that this is it. I know I get about 1% of my guesses right, but I'm looking for this one to be confirmed!

Douglas, in his April 20, 2008 Blog, described 'Pink Shell' as looking like "
    unusually low, wide, bright pink ‘Akebono’ cherries". We were wondering why what looked like Akebonos were darker in the distance, and this is what we came upon, a whole block of them, both sides, on Prince Edward between 61st and 62nd.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Is this Pink Shell? Mid-season single pink, spreading tree

No, not 'Pink Shell'. Similar, for sure, but the petals are narrower and less overlapping in 'Pink Shell'. I wouldn't know 'Afterglow' as I've never knowingly seen it in flower, but it's certainly possible. American cultivars do find their way into Canada. I'm afraid the link to the US Patent Office doesn't have images (or at least images that I can access). Any other good images of 'Afterglow' out there?

4. wcutler

'Afterglow' does seem to be a better candidate, particularly since it's been around for over 20 years vs. not in the trade yet.

I see there's a reply from Douglas that came in while I'm typing this note. Thanks. I'd already written that the only pictures I found of Afterglow were what seems to be a blossom drawing from Washington DC's festival (quite a nice page on the trees in their festival), which does look like these, and this photo from Virtual Plant Tags which doesn't (to me that Plant Tags photo looks more like Pandora, not that I'm so good at recognizing that cultivar).

I'll ask the Parks Board what they think it is, but they won't read the question till Tuesday. If it is 'Afterglow', we have the only pictures available.

5. Ron B

There is a known planting in Seattle. This is what made me think yours are 'Afterglow' also. Next we are going to look at the leaves to see if they have Prunus x yedoensis characteristics. Jacobson suspects the cultivar is actually P. x yedoensis pollinated by something else.

I get a photo at your first link, rather than a drawing (note also that their 'Autumnalis' is instead 'Autumnalis Rosea'). Since flowers at second link - which I also saw on my own earlier today - are structurally similar to 'Afterglow' seen here I figure the Michael A. Dirr photo was taken in a hot climate that bleached them out. The ones here also have the occasional darker pink brushing seen in the Dirr photo.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  6. wcutler

The Parks Board only has five Akebonos recorded on the block, which Mariko reported are still there. Seemingly nothing about the seven of these trees. A fabulous guerilla gardening effort??

7. Ron B

Re: Is this Pink Shell? More likely Afterglow - Mid-season single pink, spreading tre

'Pink Shell' I wouldn't expect to be so strongly colored. Many would probably mistake 'Afterglow' for 'Whitcomb'.

8. wcutler

Re: Is this Pink Shell? More likely Afterglow - Mid-season single pink, spreading tre

On the U. Conn page, they list 'Afterglow' with 'Akebono':
    And then they list 'Pink Shell' with 'Shidare Yoshino' (as they spell it):
    I think we're still wondering if what's growing in the orchard and what's on the street are the same or not.

9. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

I thought we'd settled on 'Afterglow' as the correct name for the plants on Prince Edward Street. 'Pink Shell' (the one in the UBC Orchard) has similar, but to my eye, lighter pink flowers and more horizontal branching. I suspect they would be easily confused in the landscape, and I'd bet that the parentage is similar or possibly even the same.