Dying Sycamore Tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by annataiwan, May 26, 2009.

1. annataiwan

annataiwan Member

Hello!

About a year ago, the large sycamore tree in my front yard started to drop its bottom-most branches. One by one, the branches started to fall, but so slowly that I've only recently begun to realize that something must be wrong. At this point, at least ten to fifteen of the branches have fallen, most of them from one side of the tree.

As for signs of disease, here is what I see: there is no discoloration or pest damage in the leaves. The trunk, however, displays some alarming qualities. The thick layer of bark has been stripped from the top two thirds of the tree trunk. On the bottom third, there is a black, powdery and thin substance on top of the bark. It is so thin that I can barely tell if it is a fungus or something like a natural blackening of bark from age and wear. But the substance seems thick enough, where it's presence is most pronounced, to be a fungus. The black substance cannot be found underneath the bark.

The tree is approximately six feet from the driveway, and the part of the root system closest to the tree is somewhat exposed because the tree is on a slight incline.

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be wrong?

Thanks!
    Anna

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the Forum, Anna.

Sorry about your tree! How old is it? Have there been any disturbances or changes in its environment---like digging, removal or addition of plantings nearby?

Could it be sycamore anthracnose...? I suggest employing the services of an arborist! Soon!