Cornus coreana

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by Gordo, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

I collected and planted seed from a tree identified as Cornus Coreana some years ago. The original tree was a mature speciman about 10 - 12 feet tall & wide, with heavily furrowed bark. Small blue berries hung in a drupe. Resultant seedlings appear rather more like a twig dogwood, although there is considerable variation. What are the chances that these seedlings are hybrids, considering that other dogwood species were growing in the area?

2. Gordo

Since posting above, I have read somewhere that this species, unlike many dogwoods, is self-pollinating, so the seedlings I'm growing are probably just showing normal variation.
    According to Jacobson, "North American Landscape Trees" (1996): "Introduced to the Arnold Arboretum in 1917 by E. Wilson."..."A rugged tree, tolerant of both heat and cold, with glossy foliage and striking, deep, rugged, dark bark (like Persimmon, Diospyrus virginiana)."
    Although this tree is no show-stopper, it certainly seems to be a healthy species, and I'm surprised it's not more commonly offered. I think I did, however, see it listed in the catalog of a local nursery (Colvos Creek?).

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, Colvos Creek. It looks like a twig dogwood because it is of that type. There are others that become trees as well.

You can find your tree and see where it fits with similar Chinese species in the online 'Flora of China'.

4. Gordo

Thanks, Ron, for that reminder about the 'Flora of China' site http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=242314431
    I'm pretty sure I had seen that before, but had forgotten about it.
    The one thing I've noticed about these trees, at least in their early years of development, is an awkward growth habit. Often, a single branch will put on a spurt of growth that is greater than the over-all growth rate. The individuals that are most tree-like in habit tend to have a pendulous, or at least semi-pendulous tendency.
    I thought it interesting that the closely related C. walteri is said to be used as a street tree.

5. Ron B

That's how you get the characterstic tiered branching. The spaces between the layers are where it shot up, with the layers being where it formed multiple branches.

6. Gordo

The problem is, I'm still not sure what is characteristic of this plant. Unlike C. controversa, which displays the tiered branching you mention, what I'm often seeing here is extreme side branching, as if the plant can't determine which direction to go.

7. Ron B

Maybe it's a cutting.

8. Gordo

No, I potted these up myself about 8-10 years ago. Although the over-all growth trend is upward, there is a definite lateral tendency.